Chapter Thirty-Two | Don't Look at the Mail

The day went by fairly quickly.

Whenever they didn't have a customer Carmon and Karter would start talking about nothing and everything all at once. She talked about how her subs lately have been nothing but one or three-night stands before she got bored with them.

"I mean it's like they don't even care about anything but sex. Sure, that's great, but I'm more than a perfect figure and great tits. You know?"

It was great being able to talk with someone who was just as blunt as Karter. It didn't take all that long for their conversations to run hours long while they worked.

"You need a ride back home?" Carmon questioned shutting off most of the lights. She left on a few of the ones that lit the shop perfectly at night.

"No, I can manage, thanks though. Oh, and don't forget to text me about the date," Karter reminded her.

She had a date with a girl she met online and was hoping it would be nice to get to know someone before they were naked. Carmon agreed before leaving.

It didn't bother Karter walking back to his dorm in the dark-or at least as dark as New York could get in the city. He had his keys in hand just in case, making sure to hold them in a way that wouldn't harm him if he did have to punch someone.

Most of the shops he passed had lights on that lit the sidewalk well enough. He was always one of those people who liked it when it got darker earlier-which no didn't make much sense considering his fear of the dark.

It would drive his mother mad. She always liked the sun, and in the colder months when it got darker out early she hated it.

To Karter, he always thought of it as fewer hours he had to be outside. In the warmer months, his family would often be outside working on some kind of project. For example, in the spring season, they would often clean the yard up and plant new flowers to put around.

Some people might find things like that fun or peaceful, but when there are snakes everywhere it isn't. Karter didn't mind snakes as long as they kept their distance, it's just that most didn't and most of the time they turned out to be venomous.

Karter brushed out of his thoughts and unlocked his dorm room. He did his nightly routine of turning on all the fairy lights and a few other cool lights. Along with closing the blinds and locking the door behind him.

He threw off his shoes and quickly changed into sweats and a Gravity Falls t-shirt.

Once he was all cozy in bed and started reading a new book he heard the door open. Flynn walked in with an uneasy expression. Karter being the great cousin he is, asked him about it.

"What the shit-biscuits is wrong with your face?" Karter questioned looking back at his book and finishing the page.

When Karter got no reply he set his book down, making sure he put the bookmark back inside before he walked over to Flynn.

He was holding a handful of mail since they only retrieve it once or twice a week.

"What?" Karter asked again, much softer.

"I don't want you to get mad at me."

Karter raised a brow.

There were few things Karter could get mad about with him, Flynn had done a lot for him and even if he might get pissy sometimes-it was nothing to get mad about.

Without a reply, Flynn continued.

"It's not my doing or her's-Blake even invited you." Flynn paused hesitation clear as he spoke again. "It's stupid and you know what never mind-"

"For fuck sakes tell me!" Karter yelled.

"Blake's getting married and your parents didn't want her inviting you-" Flynn blurted out.

Flynn handed him the lavender invitation with what was unmistakably Blake Thorn's writing.

It took a minute to process what was happening. Flynn's sister was getting married. And his parents told her he shouldn't be invited?

"She didn't tell me why but your mom was rather upset when your name was mentioned and-"

He cut Flynn off. "Uh, I think I'm just going to go for a walk." Karter grabbed his phone and threw on some shoes before Flynn grabbed for his arm to stop him.

"Wait I don't think you should be by yourself," Flynn studied him cautiously. Flynn wanted to say more and tell Karter he was being an idiot by ignoring the problem this long. However, he bit his tongue.

"I'm fine. I just need to clear my mind and shit, okay?" Karter pulled his arm from Flynn and opened the door. "Don't wait up, I might get something for dinner."

Once he was out of the building he breathed a shaky breath. Just what he wanted to do was break down in the middle of the campus.

Karter walked around building after building until he headed down to a convenience shop. The uncomfortable feeling of anxiety began to wash over him.

There was a technique Karter was told helped when he was younger. He remembered reading somewhere that if he pictured his anxiety, gave it a shape and color, and said it was okay to feel like this, that it would help. However, it didn't help him all that much anymore.

He felt disgusted with himself when he walked into the convenience store. The glow of the neon-sign greeted him like a second home. It was one of the only things he could do all the while keeping his old promise to Flynn.

Without hesitation, Karter walked down the narrow aisle and grabbed a six-pack out of the cooler, and walked up to the counter.

"Pack of Marlboro, red," he told the girl behind the counter while he placed the beer and a lighter on the counter. He was thankful that he had his wallet with him.

Without questioning it, Karter took out his totally real ID and enough cash to cover the cost of everything.

"Have a good night," the girl said cheerfully as he left the convenience shop.

When Karter got to the park, he opened one of the beers and started to chug it. He knew it wouldn't get him shit-faced but he thanked himself for being such a lightweight, to begin with.

Karter never minded beer all that much but he didn't think he would ever drink it for pleasure.

When he was on his third can he lit a cigarette and inhaled the smoke.

"Fuck you," he muttered, into the cold night air.

Part of him wanted to be happy that Blake still invited him. She, like Flynn, never much minded Karter being himself and the shit talker he still is.

The alcohol didn't help nearly as much as Karter wished it did. He wanted nothing more than to break his promise to Flynn and give in to the little voice in his head. All it did was tell him over and over again that all he had to do is give in. Just a little cut, he could even blame it on an accident if he placed it right.

He stomped out his second cigarette and lit a third as he walked out of the park. He still had two beers left and was about to throw up at the smell of them. Next time he noted to get something to eat before he chugged four gross ass beers.

Karter wasn't sure where he was walking, part of him hoped he got lost and would be forced into living out his days in an alley of sorts.

On his way to nowhere-ville, Karter handed over his beer to some homeless person down one of the alleyways.

As he walked, he quickly went through a mix of emotions. He thought about how good his life was going and how stupid he was acting. He was the one who ran away, figuratively and literally.

Then he would go down the depressing route about how no one liked him-even though he knew that was far from being true.

It was like his brain was arguing and he didn't know which side was going to win. He was merely there. He was watching his own actions but not noticing them or caring enough to stop.

Her Dad My Daddy ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara