Chapter Thirty-One | City Morning Sun

It didn't happen all that often but some days Karter's body would wake him up early in the morning. He didn't have to set an alarm or glare at anyone for waking him up.

It was now Friday and he had no classes for the day. However, he did still have to go to work so it wasn't like he could just say: "fuck it" and go back to sleep.

The curtains were, for the most part, closed in Ryan's apartment, letting only a little of the sunrise into the room.

Karter slowly and carefully got out of bed, making sure not to wake Ryan up. He had very few opportunities where he was awake before him.

Once Karter was out of bed he threw on one of Ryan's hoodies that he grabbed from the closet and walked out to the kitchen.

To most of-basically, everyone would think Karter couldn't cook. Though that was one of the many myths about him. He shockingly liked to cook sometimes.

Sure baking was his favorite ever since he could remember, his grandmother and him would bake cookies nearly every time he would visit her.

Though, Karter could still cook a few basic meals.

He figured he'd make some eggs and toast for breakfast. So that's what he did. He got all the ingredients to make the best scrambled eggs he could manage.

Cheese, garlic, herbs, and eggs obviously.

As he was looking through the fridge he grabbed some fruit and cut it up a bit into two small bowls leaving out the grapes for his own.

It was really nice seeing the sunrise over the city skyline, the way it reflected on the buildings was very picturesque. He cursed himself for not knowing where his phone was.

Either way, it didn't take long for the eggs to cook, the smell of herbs and heaven filled the air as he plated everything. Before Karter knew it Ryan was awake and walking out of his room, though he did not look grumpy this morning. "You made breakfast?"

"Well, when you say it like that it makes it sound like I don't know how to use fire," Karter stated shoving a plate into the man's grasp.

Karter walked over to the table and watched out the window as he ate. He made a note of waking up early just to see the sunrise again.

Ryan soon joined him and they enjoyed the food in comfortable silence-or at least as close to that as Karter could get.

Once Karter was finished with his food he quickly started to clean up the kitchen and did the dishes. Ryan came up behind him and wrapped his arms around Karter's waist as he laid his head on Karter's shoulder.

Immediately a feeling of calmness washed over the dark-haired boy as he took in Ryan's scent.

"You know I can get them later," Ryan more or less stated.

"Oh, I can't be nice?" Karter challenged.

Ryan chuckled and kissed him on the cheek before heading back to his room. "Be ready in twenty minutes," he shouted.

Before Karter answered he heard the shower start along with some music.

Karter finished the dishes and wiped down the counters and stove before he headed back to Ryan's room to get the rest of his clothes.

Karter paused for a moment when he heard it.

Singing.

Singing that wasn't just from the speakers. Without hesitation, Karter snuck into the bedroom and past the open bathroom door praying Ryan didn't see him. He quickly looked around the room for his phone, finding it under a pile of discarded clothes.