Chapter Twenty-Three | Birthday Girl

The next morning was not better than the night before. Ryan figured a night's sleep would help him think a bit clearer, but he was mistaken.

He couldn't stop thinking over the shocked look on Karter's face-he too was most likely wearing a matching look. If Ryan had known Karter was the friend Ember made, he probably wouldn't have-he cut off his thoughts. He could deal with it later.

Grabbing a cup of coffee Ryan was out the door and to the parking garage. Before he left he texted Ember wishing her a happy birthday. He knew she hated her birthdays and he wanted to do everything he could to make it a good day for her.

Ember's roommate, Holland, said she was taking Ember to breakfast. Ryan picked up on the two, taking notice of how Ember seemed to like the girl. Ryan just hoped she didn't let such a nice person slip through her fingers.

It was nearly like clockwork when Ryan was in one of his moods, as Carmon liked to put it. She always seemed to know the days he was pissed and the days like today where he was just angry.

There was nothing to be angry at if Ryan took the time to think logically, but his mind didn't do that all that often. He was just mad at himself for not having control as he should have.

"What's up your ass this morning? Clearly nothing good," Carmon questioned.

"It's nothing."

She followed him to his office and sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk. She was persistent. He'd give her that much.

"Tell Carmon your worries, it isn't good to bottle things up. And your grumpy ass scared the last therapist you had away so," she got comfortable.

Knowing she wouldn't leave, Ryan told her the events of last night and how of all people it had to be one of Ember's friends. He didn't want to mess that up, as much as he liked Karter. If he was being realistic it probably wouldn't have lasted so now he had an excuse to call it quits?

Ryan was never meant for relationships.

"Oh, fucking Hell. You can really pick 'em," she laughed. Carmon was a lot of things, but a good therapist was not one of them.

"Oh shit sorry, but like dinner, tonight is going to be awkward I mean you-I mean-right, you need to make a decision. You can either be an adult and tell her, have a secret relationship that could possibly hurt everyone at some point, or break things off."

She looked at her nails and then fixed her burgundy hair. "I know you really liked the kid, but I mean if it isn't an honest relationship someone is going to get hurt. Trust me I once had an open relationship with these two chicks and they didn't seem all that happy when I started seeing someone else. I mean it isn't cheating if we were never a real thing but they still got pissed."

After Carmon's helpful story, Ryan did his best to focus on the tasks he had to do for the day. In fact, he welcomed them as any distraction. It got his mind off his life and that's where he wanted it to be.

The calls, meetings, and the shipments were all helpful when it came to making him forget about his own problems and look at the work of others.

By the time the day ended Ryan rushed back to his apartment and got dressed into something a bit nicer.

He didn't have much more time then to change and leave again.

Much to Ember's protests, she agreed to dinner as long as she got to pick the restaurant.

As agreed Ryan picked Ember up and they drove to the restaurant of her choosing. The place was one of her favorite sushi and buffets all in one. They had it all and most of it was made in front of the customers, as long as they chose a seat by the bar area.