Chapter Fifteen | Pancakes Will Never Win

Ryan watched the disheveled boy in front of him down two plates of eggs along with obtaining a limit for the endless pancakes the restaurant had to offer.

"This is why waffles will always be superior," he chuckled. He stabbed his fork into the bite of pancakes on his plate. It was as if he were mocking his food.

"You could have just ordered the waffles," Ryan stated, taking a sip of his coffee.

The morning sun shined in through the large windows of the small diner. The place was an old mom and pop fifties diner hidden in the city. The checkered tiles, baby blue booths, and jukebox created a nostalgic atmosphere for almost anyone who stepped foot into the diner.

"Yeah, but then I wouldn't get the pleasure of destroying them," Karter said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Of course why didn't I think of that," Ryan muttered sarcastically.

"I mean come on Rye Bread, don't you have a daughter. You should know the facts about pancakes," Karter pointed his fork at him.

Ryan raised his brows at the dramatic tone the boy had. "She's an adult and even so, she hates pancakes-not quite enough to destroy them but I think you get my point."

Karter shrugged. "My point still stands. Everyone should know these things," he said as he finished up the rest of his food.

Ryan watched Karter look around the diner before turning back. It was kind of funny how Karter seemed to dare himself to look into the hazel brown eyes across from him; to just hold Ryan's stare until he eventually turned to look at something else.

In this case, Karter dropped his stare and looked out the large window. Not liking the silence he started to talk as they waited for the check.

"Normally the only way I can stand pancakes is if I make them into shapes. You know stuff like hearts, farm animals, dicks, and snakes were some of my favorites," he said casually as the waitress handed Ryan the check.

"Got a question blondie?" Karter asked the surprised waitress. She was staring at him clearly overhearing the nice chat about dick-shaped pancakes. The waitress quickly shook her head trying her best to compose herself from the expression she was making.

"N-no," she spoke through a fake smile. It looked like she wanted to glare at him, yet kept up the smile.

"You should tell your face-or do you naturally just look constipated," Karter smiled back. Ryan noticed the change in posture when Karter spoke. Just ever so slightly better than before.

Ryan sent him a look but if Karter noticed he didn't show it. When they left Ryan left a good tip on the table before paying and pulling Karter along with him.

Karter naturally slipped his hand into the other's as they walked back to the car. "Eventful day already! Is this what it's like to get up at seven?!" Karter questioned.

"Normally I would say no, but with you-who knows," Ryan chuckled.

He opened the door for Karter, loving the slight blush that crept across his face when he did little things like that.

Ryan got into the car letting it warm up for a moment. He'd admit Karter that made things much more interesting. Some of the stories he told both the true and even the total bullshit ones, made him chuckle to himself.

Karter grinned as Ryan pulled out of the parking lot and started driving to the college he attended.

"Okay, you might have a point there. I usually don't know what's going to happen when I start my days," Karter muttered.

The dark-haired boy turned the radio up and started singing along to any song he seemed to know the lyrics to.

Over the past week, Karter seemed to warm up to Ryan a lot more than either of them thought-not that anyone was complaining. Ryan was getting used to his company, something he didn't quite know how to explain.

He didn't feel the usual fight or flight feelings that seemed to always pop up once he started getting close to someone. Ryan did however know that if things went on too much longer Carmon would surely start her interview-to get to know Karter better.

The thought of Carmon and Karter teaming up against him was not something he wanted to think about early in the morning.

When they got to the college Ryan stopped near the dorm buildings. He silently thanked God that he didn't have to go too far into campus.

The city might have been big but not big enough. Ryan learned that when he picked Karter up from the same campus as Ember attended.

Surely it wouldn't be much of a problem, but Ryan didn't want to make things awkward for anyone. Sleeping with someone younger than him wasn't exactly new, but rather the fact he was dating someone was the problem.

Ryan never was in a relationship where Ember met the other party unless they were leaving and she was still living with him. That was all they were though, one night stands that were nothing more than an okay-ish fuck.

The thing that scared Ryan the most was that Karter made him come back for more, not always in a physical way either.

"See ya," Karter grinned before leaning over and kissing him.

Naturally, Ryan pulled him in tighter to get as close as he could as he kissed him back. The soft moan that escaped Karter's mouth, followed by the light blush on his face when they pulled back made Ryan grin.

"Have a good day, Amore mio," Ryan said, knowing it'd piss him off a little. Ryan casually tracing the side of Karter's face.

"You're a dick, but thanks I will," Karter groaned. He grabbed his bag and rushed off towards the dorms as Ryan waited until he went inside before leaving.