Chapter Forty-Three | The Surprise

There was enough time to get dressed up into formal wear. When Ember had told Ryan she wanted to go out to eat he didn't think she meant a five-star restaurant that took well over a year to get into.

"How long were you planning this?!" Karter questioned.

'Not long, I have my ways,' she signed with a smile.

They walked into the building; inside the walls were lined with modern art no one would like and tables filled with one too many forks for anyone to care.

Despite a few minor comments, Ryan thought it was still rather nice.

The chandeliers were like nothing he'd seen before and the atmosphere of the place was nearly magical as well. It was one of the more classy places but not overly snobby.

Ryan took the napkin and placed it on his lap. Ember did the same and poked Holland for her to follow.

"Why are there so many utensils?" Karter muttered.

"For the meal, usually they will tell you what to eat a course with, but normally you'll use the outer ones first and work your way to the ones closest to the dish."

"Oh, that kinda makes sense. Do they have those things with the towels people eat?" Karter asked immediately.

Ember laughed. 'Yes, but please don't eat one.'

"Who said I would," he chuckled.

Ryan glared at him and Karter raised his hands. "Okay, I won't actually eat one of the towels-that was a weird sentence even for me."

Each course was better than the last one. The food was delicious from the salads to the desserts.

Ryan wasn't even a big chocolate fan but the lava cake was like heaven on a plate. Plus it was cute teaching Karter which fork or spoon to use.

"But why can't I use the two-prong fork to eat lava cake?"

"How would that even work?" Holland questioned.

Ryan took the fish fork away and handed Karter a spoon instead. "It wouldn't because the lava would slip through."

"Points were made, it doesn't mean I have to like them," Karter muttered.

Though it did take some convincing for him not to eat one of the towels as well.

"Oh come on it's like a thick coin."

"No," Ryan shook his head.

"I mean it would be a fun time, but you know, whatever," he shrugged it off.

They watched live music as they ate, it was calming with the soft music and from the looks outside snow started to fall leaving a light dusting on the sidewalks.

It was a perfect ending to the evening.

Almost.

"Okay, you can't just bring up something like that and then not tell me," Karter whined.

On the way back home, Karter mentioned something about the reward Ryan promised him. Karter was guessing at what it could have been, but then that changed into him getting overly excited and questioning Ryan about it the whole ride home.

Ryan locked the door behind him as he asked some more. "On a scale of vanilla to Carmon, how kinky is it?"

Ryan rolled his eyes at his boyfriend.

"Do you really need to know that badly, that you can't wait till the wedding is over?" obviously a stupid question to ask the boy in front of him.