Chapter 1.1

semper fidelis (adjective)
always faithful

-~-~-~-

Chapter 1

"MUM! MUM! Look what I got in the mail!" An exuberant, black-haired boy of about ten years of age cried as he ran into his mother's study room. He nearly tripped over the rug that lined the hallway before finally skidding to a halt in front of her large desk. James had never felt more excited than how he's feeling today. Finally, finally, after months of waiting anxiously, what he's waiting for is finally here!

"Be careful love, you don't want to hurt yourself," his mother said, raising her head from behind the stack of books piled high on the oaken desk peppered with feather carvings. She wiped a stray curl that escaped from her ponytail away from her face and looked at her son. "What do you have there baby?"

James rounded the desk and stood beaming in front of his mother. "Muuum, I told you not to call me "baby" anymore! I'm ten and three quarters!" He replied and shot her a toothy grin.

His mother laughed and ruffled his hair. She could see the mischief twinkling in his chocolate brown eyes as he exchanged familiar banter with her. It's true - he's no longer a "baby" in the literal sense of the word, but she can't bring herself to stop. He's growing up so fast and already she could see that the clothes she bought him not two months ago were in the process of being outgrown. He's nearly to her chin, can eat triple her usual serving during meals, and has the energy that can rival that of a Tasmanian devil. Yes - he's no longer a baby but he'll always be her baby.

"What do you have there, then?" she asked. She could see the excitement radiating from his body and the grin not leaving his face. Whatever it was, he couldn't hold it in any longer.

"I got my letter! My Hogwarts letter!" He all but screamed as he shoved a familiar piece of parchment into her hands.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat. She looked at the letter which was marked clearly with the all too familiar crest of her alma mater. A badger, a snake, a raven, and a lion were displayed on all their glory on each quadrant of the crest surrounding a very prominent H. The words "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus" were written in flowing script underneath the insignia. 'Never tickle a sleeping dragon,' Hermione thought as she was momentarily taken back to when she received her own letter those many years ago.

She remembered that day clearly. It was the first day back from Easter holidays of her Year 6 of school. She had been teased mercilessly by the kids in her class, them making jokes about her "rabbit teeth" and bushy mane saying she is not unlike the Easter Bunny. They were so cruel that she went home crying.

But when she stepped into her house and saw the pile of letters behind the door, her sadness was immediately replaced by her natural curiosity. There was this odd little envelope made of stained parchment paper that was addressed to a "Ms. Hermione Jane Granger. The East-Facing Bedroom at the Top of the Stairs." With the tears drying on her cheeks and brows furrowed in question, she ripped open the envelope to find her enrolment letter to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She read the contents and almost crumpled it up, thinking it was an elaborate joke pulled by one of her classmates. She couldn't bring herself to ruin the letter however, so she folded it neatly and placed it back into its envelope to show her parents over supper. She had to hand it to whichever classmate created the letter though - it was well crafted (almost too elaborate for one of her classmates to accomplish, but she pushed that thought aside) and she had wanted to believe it is true despite the fact that there is obviously no such thing as magic.

How wrong she was, for over potatoes and roast and after showing her parents the letter (which they all had a good laugh over), the doorbell rang. The Grangers shared a questioning look for they weren't expecting anyone. Dan Granger, Hermione's father, excused himself from the table to answer the door. Ellie Granger, Hermione's mother, and Hermione craned their necks from the dining table to see who was behind the door.

Hermione remembered first seeing a pointy, wide-brimmed hat of jet black and another of an emerald green when the door opened. The next she noticed were their garb: the man had a midnight blue cloak with stars and crescent moons that seemed to sparkle as the fabric shifted while the lady wore velvetine green robes. The man was old, his snowy white beard spilling over the front of his shirt and he had half-moon spectacles perched atop his sharp nose. Behind them she could see twinkling blue eyes. The lady looked severe, her chin at a sharp angle and her hair in a tight bun beneath her hat, yet her eyes were gentle as she looked past her father and straight into her.

"Good evening, Mr. Granger. I know our visit came at a surprise but we hope we are not intruding. I am Albus Dumbledore and this is Professor McGonagall. I am the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and we'd like to speak to you about your very special daughter, Hermione." The man, Albus Dumbledore, said in a soft voice. Hermione heard herself gasp as his words drifted to her ears. The man looked at her and gave her a smile, and Hermione knew her life will be forever changed. 

-~-~-~-

Micca's Notes: Join the HMS Harmony Discord for more Harry/Hermione content and discussions! Invite: www.hhriscanonbitches.com