Chapter 12.5

Another ten minutes passed before Oscar led the team back to stand in front of the prospects. All of them immediately got to their feet and formed a line in front of the captain. James bit his lip in anticipation from his place in line between Nate and Teddy and tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for Oscar's announcements.

"Again, I want to say a big thank you to everyone of you today for trying out and showing us what you've got. All I can say is that Gryffindor has a LOT of talented players and we are so lucky to be some of the ones to represent you against the other Houses," Oscar started. Everyone in the Quidditch field clapped their hands and nodded their heads.

"Unfortunately, not all of you can be players. If you do not make it today, please do not let that discourage you! We are all here because we love Quidditch. Even if you do not have a jersey with your name on the back, you are a Gryffindor and this will always be your team," he continued to more applause from everyone.

"Now without further ado, here are our results... Starting with our recommendation for commentator... we would like to call up Teddy Lupin!" Oscar exclaimed.

James gasped and spun to his right to see a wide-eyed, jaw-dropped Teddy. People were clapping and Nate was hollering as Teddy walked towards Oscar and shook his hand. While Quidditch commentator wasn't technically a position, it was still a great honour and James was certain Teddy was a wonderful choice for it. His friend loved the game so much and was so skilled at recognizing tactics and maneuvers that he just knew Teddy would be a great Quidditch commentator.

"Our reserve Beater is... Nate Weasley!" Oscar announced.

"Oh my god," Nate whispered from James' left to yet another thunderous applause from everyone on the Quidditch field. James laughed and nudged Nate forward. The redhead stumbled but quickly regained his footing and he shook hands with the grinning Quidditch captain. Afterwards he stood next to Teddy, the smiles on their faces shining brightly.

The Chaser was announced to be Elia Lahiri, a fifth year girl of tall stature with chocolate skin and mocha eyes. She smiled easily and stood next to Nate on the growing line of new Quidditch team members.

There was a pause in the announcement as the anticipation started to build over the crowd for the positions of reserve and primary Seeker. James shut his eyes and crossed his fingers on both of his hands. "Please, please, please," he thought, "Please let me be the reserve Seeker, please," he begged silently.

"Our reserve Seeker is... Derek Crowe!" Oscar declared.

James felt himself sag slightly and a sigh escaped his lips. He kept a small smile on his face and clapped politely as Derek walked to the front and shook Oscar's hand. Well, he guessed he could always try out for next year. Maybe he should come up with a training schedule for himself? He really should get as much flying as possible anyway since he was new to all of this. He reckon that he just needed more time to be comfortable on the broom and then he would have a real shot on making it to the Quidditch team. He was super excited to watch the upcoming games though, especially if Teddy would be commentating some of them and Nate had a chance to play. He should also pick Teddy's brains later, since surely the blonde would have some tips for him on how to improve his gameplay. Teddy was good at that. He could also ask Nate for tips on flying. Yes, James would take this time to better himself at Quidditch and next year he would be back with a vengeance and make it into the team!

"James!" Someone exclaimed, and James was shaken from his planning to see everyone in the Quidditch field looking at him expectantly. It was Teddy who called him and the blonde was grinning madly with an equally buoyant Nate at his side.

James blinked confusedly and Nate let out a whoop. "Get over here, Mr. Seeker!" The redhead exclaimed to the amusement of everyone. Applause resounded around the pitch while James stared in shock.

Seeker? "Wh-what..." James mumbled in incoherent disbelief, and someone lightly pushed on his back making him step forward. His legs automatically carried him towards the grinning Oscar.

The Quidditch captain clasped James' hand tightly and gave it a firm shake, his smile beaming as he looked at the stunned first year.

"Welcome to the Gryffindor Quidditch team, James."