Chapter 8.1

veritas vos liberabit
the truth shall set you free

-~-~-~-

Chapter 8

Minerva McGonagall walked through the halls of Hogwarts with purpose. The heels of her shoes clicked against the marbled floor as she strode through the empty second floor hallway towards the gargoyle. It was an hour after the end of the welcome feast and students have been sent to their dormitories while old and new professors retired to their corners of the castle. Finally reaching the towering gargoyle, Professor McGonagall said the secret password.

"Coffee Crisp."

The stone gargoyle sprang to life and rotated clockwise revealing a spiraling staircase carved against the stone. Professor McGonagall began her ascent on the stairs when the movement stopped until she reached the office of the Headmaster. The circular room was full of different gadgets making little noises and its tall walls were covered with portraits of old school heads. They noticed her entering the office and bowed their heads in greeting. McGonagall paid no notice as she stalked towards the front of a huge clawfoot desk where Albus Dumbledore was set behind.

He was writing a letter with a long feathery quill when he noticed her presence. Setting down his quill and folding his hands atop the table, he looked at the Deputy Headmistress and finally saw her sour countenance. She was not in a good mood and he had a feeling he would soon find out why.

"Good evening, Professor McGonagall. What can I do for you?"

"How can you not tell me that Harry Potter would be the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher?!" Minerva McGonagall, usually very calm and subdued, erupted in question. She gestured wildly with her hands and started pacing back and forth in front of his desk. "You completely caught me by surprise, Albus! All of us had no idea. I had no idea. If I had known, I might have-" Her eyes widened as she caught what she was about to say and immediately stopped.

Dumbledore looked at her curiously. "You might have what, Minerva?"

McGonagall's green eyes narrowed and her lips pursed. "I... I might have prepared better for his arrival! Set him up in bigger bedchambers... I don't know, I might have just done something else! His employment here at Hogwarts took us all by surprise and I do not appreciate that one bit, Albus!"

Dumbledore studied her carefully. In all their years working together at Hogwarts with their roles of Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress, they hardly had a discussion with such raised voices. Something was different this time, and Dumbledore knew it had more to do with Harry Potter being at Hogwarts than his taking up of the position as professor.

"What is it about Mr. Potter being at Hogwarts that got you in such a tizzy, Minerva?" Dumbledore asked plainly.

McGonagall faltered and her shoulders sagged. Leave it to Albus to always figure things out. "I can't tell you, Albus."

"We've never had a lot of secrets between us." Dumbledore replied, his blue eyes probing for answers.

McGonagall met his gaze and shook her head sadly. "It's not my secret to tell."

For a moment, the two individuals just looked at each other. Both were wise and powerful in their own rite and both had been close friends for decades. They had endured multiple wars, death of loved ones and mutual friends, the sacking of Hogwarts, and the rebuilding of their beloved school yet here they are at an impasse about one man whom they both care for so much.

"I'm sorry about that. And I'm sorry for not telling you beforehand," Dumbledore whispered softly. "When Sirius and I asked him weeks ago he declined. It was only after our urging that he decided to consider the role and I did not hear an answer until yesterday. Sirius was set to come back temporarily, but since Harry agreed he decided to start his retirement early."

McGonagall simply looked at him before giving a stiff nod.

A knock was heard on the office door making both heads turn.

"Ah, and that must be Mr. Potter. I asked him for tea after he was all settled in," Dumbledore said. "You may come in, Mr. Potter."

The door creaked open revealing the subject of their conversation. He was still dressed in Auror black though his body wasn't so rigid as it was during the assembly. Harry looked at the two professors and smiled. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything?"

Dumbledore looked at McGonagall.

"Not at all, Mr. Potter," McGonagall replied.

The man entered the room and closed the door behind him. McGonagall finally got her first good look of him. The last she had seen him before that night was months ago. He did not look a lot different physically, but she did notice a different air about him. He seemed... content, almost happy. There wasn't such a dark cloud around him anymore. She couldn't stop herself as she walked across the room and enveloped him in a hug.

"It's good to see you, Harry. It's good to see you here."

Harry put his arms around the witch and returned her hug. He understood what she meant. "It's good to see you too, Minerva."

Dumbledore watched the two from his desk with a small smile on his lips. Reunions like these were few and far in between and he wanted to capture every moment. His eyes clouded a bit as he remembered his conversation with the Transfiguration professor just minutes before. There's something she's hiding about why Harry Potter being at Hogwarts may not be a good thing. And while he won't push her now, he's determined to find out why later.

"Minerva, why don't you join us for tea?" Dumbledore asked. The embracing duo broke apart and the older witch nodded.

"I would love to, Albus."

The next hour and a half flew by quickly as the three old friends caught up with each others' lives. And after Minerva and Harry parted ways outside of the stone gargoyle, Minerva's pace quickened as she made her way towards her bedchambers.

She had a letter to write tonight and she didn't even know where to begin. 

-~-~-~-

Micca's Notes: Join the HMS Harmony Discord for more Harry/Hermione content and discussions! Invite: www.hhriscanonbitches.com