Chapter 13.2

James gasped as he walked through the propped open doors of the Great Hall.

"Wow," Teddy breathed from his side.

Clearly, Hogwarts spared no expense for their Hallowe'en Feast. Jack-o-lanterns gleaming orange with flames at their hearts floated up in the air. Like the Welcome Feast, the ceilings made way to the open sky. There were no treetops however, only the dark sky and twinkling stars with the waxing moon shining bright. Bats - whether real or imaginary, James couldn't tell - screeched and flew across the darkness masterily avoiding the floating lanterns. The aisles in between the four House tables were lined with pumpkins and gourds and the tables themselves buckled underneath the weight of the food. James spied racks of meat and platters of cheese. There were multiple stews, starches, and differently cooked vegetables. Pumpkin pies, carrot cakes, and other pastries added their weight onto the table. 

"This is incredible," Nate whispered, and dragged James and Teddy to sit at their usual spot at the middle of the long Gryffindor table. The seats were filling up with students and soon the other first year Gryffindors were sat near them. Christian and Jack were already picking at the cheeses and Olivia gave James a shy grin. He returned her smile equally as bashful.

When all students, teachers, and ghosts were settled, Professor Dumbledore stood from his seat to give his address. "Everyone, welcome to our Hallowe'en Feast!" Dumbledore said to the applause of everyone in the hall. "There is not much to say but eat, drink, and be scary! Tuck in!" Everyone clapped again and the chatter picked up as everyone piled their plates with food.

James was in the middle of eating his butternut squash soup when the conversation on their section of the Gryffindor table turned to how Muggles celebrated Hallowe'en. Emanuel was asking Olivia, who was Muggleborn, the purpose of wearing costumes during the holiday. 

"It's supposedly because spirits walk amongst us during this night," Olivia explained in a whisper. "You know... spirits of the dead. So we wear costumes so that they wouldn't think we're any different from them."

Ebby Chan, another Gryffindor first year, looked at her confusedly. "But... ghosts are everywhere!" She exclaimed just as Sir Nicholas, aka Nearly Headless Nick the resident Gryffindor ghost, floated above their table.

James let out a laugh. "Muggles can't see ghosts, Ebby," he explained.

Sir Nicholas scoffed indignantly at overhearing James' comment. "They choose not to see ghosts," he said haughtily. "Muggles do funny things."

James looked at Olivia who shrugged and the table broke into fits of laughter.