Chapter 10.4

This wasn't an answer Harry expected to hear. Harry paused for a second and narrowed his eyes in thought. Hippogriff wingfeather wasn't a very common core at all; and as far as he was aware, Ollivander was the first wandmaker to make such a wand. He remembered his visit to Diagon Alley when he bought his new broom that summer and his conversation with Ollivander. He had wanted to see the wand Ollivander made with Buckbeak's feather but the man said it sold earlier that day. He couldn't remember the name Ollivander said but what were the chances that this boy had purchased the wand? He held his suspicions in place.

Harry smiled. "That's right, Mr. Watson," Harry said and James sat back down. "Wands with hippogriff feather cores are rare since not only are hippogriffs hard to find but they also don't let any witch or wizard come close to them. They're regal creatures and fiercely loyal, but it is difficult to gain one's trust. Only feathers surrendered willingly by hippogriffs contain magic and they don't do that lightly."

James digested this new information about his wand and was in awe at how seemingly rare it was. He listened in rapt attention and diligently made notes as Professor Potter continued with the class.

After the hour and a half was over, James and his friends packed up their quills and parchments to head to their second last class of the day, Care of Magical Creatures. There was a buzz in the room as the first years discussed the lesson they just had. Professor Potter was a great instructor, and he held the attention of all students throughout the lesson. James could hear whispers from other students as they discussed the make of their wands with their friends.

As James, Nate, and Teddy were about to exit the room, James heard a voice from the front of the room call his name. "Mr. Watson, could you please stay for a moment?" Professor Potter asked. James gave him a curious look while Nate mouthed that they would wait for him outside.

James approached the front of the class where Professor Potter was stood leaning against the desk. He had a kind look on his face that put James at ease. Harry gave him a smile. "I'm sorry for keeping you behind, but I wanted to ask you a question. When did you get your wand?"

James' brows wrinkled as he tried to remember the day he and his mum went to Diagon Alley. His brown eyes glinted when he remembered. "It was a Saturday in mid-July. I got my wand from Mr. Ollivander. But why do you ask, sir?"

Harry's green eyes filled with light and he smiled broadly when his suspicions were proven true. "I also was at Diagon Alley that day, and I had visited Ollivander since I wanted to see a wand that he was making that I had helped him with. You see, he wanted to experiment with new wand cores and asked me if I could get him a hippogriff wingfeather. And I did."

James' eyes widened. His right hand instinctively went to his pocket where his wand was stored. "You mean to say the core of my wand came from you, sir?"

"Well, not from me, exactly," Harry said with a small laugh. "But from my hippogriff, Buckbeak."

"You have a hippogriff?!" James gasped in question.

Harry smiled. "Buckbeak's more like a family member. He helped me rescue my godfather back in my third year," Harry said, his eyes slightly cloudy as he thought back to Buckbeak's flight. That was one of the shining and most unforgettable moments of his life, when he and Hermione flew on Buckbeak's back. It was a memory he would never forget. "If you don't mind... may I see your wand?"

With no hesitation, James unpocketed his wand and handed it to his professor. Harry grasped the handle gently and a warmth so soothing filled his body. He smiled. "It's beautiful. Ollivander did a great job with this wand and Buckbeak would be happy to know his feather is encased in this. Did Ollivander tell you what the wood is made out of?" Harry asked, tracing the intertwined hilt.

James nodded. "Mr. Ollivander said it was made from two redwood trees that grew so close together they fused into one."

"Amazing, I've never seen something like this before," Harry breathed. "Thank you for letting me see it, Mr. Watson." He handed the wand back to James.

James grinned broadly and his brown eyes shone. "No problem at all, Professor! I should head to Care of Magical Creatures now, so I'll see you later. Have a good afternoon!" Harry nodded and with a small wave, James turned on his heel and walked out of the class.

Harry smiled to himself when he was alone. He felt relieved that the wand with Buckbeak's feather went to good hands. He couldn't help himself, but this boy, this Daniel James Watson, was someone he was quickly growing fond of. He had also solved the mystery of why the boy looked so familiar. Harry remembered it now, but James was also the boy he saw peering into the window of Broomstix that day in Diagon Alley. That was why that face looked so familiar, he reasoned. He had seen James before, albeit briefly, before they had met at Hogwarts.

Yet as Harry prepared for the fifth years that were slowly trickling into the room, he couldn't shake off the feeling that he had seen those chocolate brown eyes somewhere else before.