Chapter 17.12

Hermione stared at the door through which her old professor left. There were worry lines on her forehead as she digested what he told her.

She would have to stay at Hogwarts for the time being until it was safe for her to go back home. Which, from the sound of it, wouldn't be until they had closed the case. She itched to help them as much as she could and made a resolution that the next time she saw Remus, she would offer her help. The least she could do was continue what she was doing before which was researching about the staff. Perhaps if she could figure out all of its properties they would be led closer to whomever wanted to use it.

Before she could dwell on it further, another knock sounded on her door. She voiced a soft "Come in" and the door opened to reveal her son. Her troubles melted away when she saw his smile.

"Hi mum," James greeted. He left the door ajar and walked to her bedside. He gave her a sweet kiss on the cheek and sat on the seat Remus occupied. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm better," Hermione answered truthfully. Her wound still stung when she moved too much but she felt better after she woke up today. Her hand reached to stroke his hair. She wasn't surprised when she woke up alone that morning to find the healer fussing over her and James gone. Madam Pomfrey had told her that she sent James back to the common room the previous night but that did leave Hermione wondering how her son was fairing. They had a difficult conversation the previous night, full of tears and truths, and she needed to make sure he was okay. "And you? How are you feeling, baby?" 

"I'm alright," James said. He held onto Hermione's hand and saw the bracelet on her lap. He took hold of it carefully and clipped the silver chain around her wrist. He bit her lip and looked at his mum. "I... ran into dad on my way back to the common room last night. We talked."

She didn't expect to hear that and her head jerked to look at James.

"You... you did?" Hermione asked in disbelief, shocked to hear the word "dad" from her son's lips.

James nodded, his mouth curving into a smile. He recalled the conversation they had last night and that morning too. True to his word, Professor Potter - his dad - was waiting for him outside of Gryffindor common room before breakfast that morning. They walked the Quidditch pitch and just... talked. They stayed far away from the subject of his mum, but James did tell his dad stories about his childhood. He told him about his Muggle school, his friends, the different countries he's had the pleasure of visiting over their holidays, and his football league. His dad asked questions and James answered every one of them eagerly. His favourite food, his hobbies, how he felt about Hogwarts and learning about magic... He knew his dad only wanted to get to know him better and James was willing to help as much as he could.

"Yes, and we talked this morning too before class. In fact, he's right outside-"

But James trailed off when the door creaked open and the subject of their conversation entered the room. Hermione tore her eyes away from her son and looked towards the entrance. The breath left her lungs when she caught sight of him.