Chapter 17

Four I sitting up in bed. His eyes are closed but breathing normally. His heart monitor on the side beeps in a rhythmic pattern telling me that he is alive. He looks nothing like the guy I saw yesterday that screamed in pain and that begged to die.

I feel Lynn put her arm around my shoulder. I smile at the gesture and the fact that Four is alive..

"Remember he doesn't remember anything about his ordeal. All he remembers is that he was undercover working for Marcus, the fashion show and Marcus shot in his direction but missed and he is unconscious because he 'bumped his head'," Cara instructs.

"Is everyone clear, just like you guys he cannot discover the pain otherwise it might tear his mind apart," she continues.

We all nod.

"Were we all like that?" I ask softly.

"Yes, and some of us had to witness all of you go through it," Christina says.

I walk over to Four's bedside and stroke his face and arm. All signs of injury have vanished. He looks as fresh as ever.

Someone cleared their throat really really loudly and I turn around. Caleb stands in the doorway looking at me. I blush because I think he just saw all of that. He walks in and pulls me into a hug. The others shift uncomfortably and walk outside.

"How you feeling?" Caleb asks.

"Better than yesterday I admit," I say.

"You remember Susan and Robert from when we were kids?"

"Yeah of course our best friends," I say.

"Their parents were in the organisation and they are getting a transfer to here. Not in the same department, you guys are undercover and they are working intelligence in the homicide department," Caleb says.

I smile. Both of us were very close to Susan and Robert. Caleb I think was even closer to Susan. When I was younger I always hoped that Susan and Caleb would end up together. He always said that about me and Robert but I never felt anything towards him much to Caleb's disappointment.

"Anyways I was thinking we might go out with them some time and catch up," Caleb says stroking my hair.

"Sounds fun. Gonna ask Susan out?" I ask smirking at him.

Caleb's cheeks turn pink.

"Oh my god are you actually?" I say beaming.

"Maybe... So like if Susan and I are a thing maybe you and Robert can be," he says.

I stare at him dumbfounded no sure whether to be happy at the Susan comment or surprise at the Robert comment first.

I am shamed from my daze when a voice asks "Who's Robert?"

"Four you're awake!" I say.

"Yeah must have been pretty hard hit on the head. So who is Robert again," he asks.

"Robert is her betrothed," Caleb says jokingly.

Obviously I know it's a joke but I can see Four's fists clench and his jaw hardens to stone at that comment.

"He's joking Four. In this century I don't think we have betrothed couples, except I guess if you are royalty. Robert is an old friend. He and his sister Susan are our oldest friends and we always used to do everything together. They are getting a transfer here into the homicide department and we going out with them sometime," I explain.

"You're going out with Robert?" Four asks with evident hurt in his voice.

"Go out as in catch up," I say rolling my eyes.