Chapter 34

"Al this is absurd! Jeanine I don't know where her wedding ring is," Four says.

His hands are up in surrender with Al pointing a gun to the back of his head and even though I have a knife pressed against my throat I can't help but feel jealous because Lauren is checking Four out.

"At least tell her what it looks like," Lauren says to Four.

"Come on Four, I know you know and I don't think you would like to see Tris suffer. Or any of your friends for that matter," Jeanine says putting a small amount of pressure on the knife.

I start whimpering. I felt it pierce the skin. Now it feels like a thin line of blood around my neck.

"Jeanine why is the ring so important to you?" Christina asks.

"The ring is a key. A key to something precious of hers and it was from her days hunting me. I need it. I believe that it is a key to the last vials of serums from S.C.A.R. If I had those I could bring the research back again," she says.

"Why would you want to? It was shut down for a reason. The serums were unstable and unpredictable and continuing their use could have very unfortunate side effects," Cara says struggling against her bonds.

"Stop moving," Al commands shifting his gun away from Tobias to Cara.

Tobias takes this as his chance. He brings his elbow hard on the back of Al's head and side sweeps him. The gun clatters out of his hand landing on the sand in front of Tobias. He dives to pick it up and clicks a bullet into place, taking aim at Jeanine.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you Four. After all I am holding a knife to your girlfriend's neck," Jeanine says calmly.

At this point I am faintly gasping for air due to how tightly she's holding the knife against me. I see him think it through and start to lower the gun.

"Four don't," I plead.

"She's hurting you Tris," he says.

"I'm oka---" I am cut off with Jeanine applying more pressure. I now can't talk without it slowly slicing my throat.

"Okay I've had enough of this," Jeanine says. She takes the knife away from my neck and cuts the ropes typing my hands and ankles together. She drags me up and walks me over to Tobias.

Robert returns without Nita and goes to stand on one side of Tobias while Lauren stands on the other.

"Jeanine what are you doing?" Marlene asks.

"Hush child," she replies while she redirects her focus to the two of us.

"Tell me where the ring is," she repeats.

"Asking Evelyn would be a better option than me," he replies.

"I did and all she said was a string of promises. Very useful information from your mother," she snaps.

A string of promises? Didn't Christina or Evelyn say that Tobias gave me a promise ring for my birthday once? The promise ring... Is that Evelyn's actual wedding ring? The one that is strung on a chain....

Oh my god.... I have the wedding ring hidden under my shirt strung to a chain filled with the promise that Tobias made to me years almost 5 years ago.

Tobias and I are face to face. I look into his eyes and silently try and tell him that I know where it is by looking at him then looking down. He looks at me and looks at my neck where the knife is and I can see that he knows what I am saying. 

"Ah Jeanine.. maybe you can check for it at her place in Abnegation Close.... that was her place before she got married," Tobias says quickly. 

"Lauren put them in the holding cell while we scout Abnegation Close. I want Susan, Evelyn and Robert guarding them," she says. 

"Yea ma'am," Lauren says. 

Lauren one by one cuts my friends free while Robert ushers them somewhere else. Soon all that's left is me and Tobias with Jeanine.

"Smart move Four, you managed to keep your girl alive for now," she says.

Jeanine removes the knife from my neck and shoves me into Tobias. I stumble forward into him and he catches me. I take a deep breath and I just happen to catch his scent. The one that always reminds me of safety.

"Take them away Lauren," Jeanine commands.

Lauren ushers us away in the direction of where our friends were taken. Tobias doesn't take his arms off me this entire time. I think he is afraid that I am going to break. I bump into Evelyn on the way there and I feel something being slipped into my pocket.

The holding cell is clear and everyone is sitting on the sides looking depressed and hugging each other. I see poor Shauna with Zeke a bandage on thigh trying desperately to absorb the flowing blood. She looks pale. Zeke has the most worried look on his face. He constantly monitors her. Lauren opens the cell and pushes the two of us in with the rest of them. 

"Tris thank god!" Christina says coming up to me crying and hugging. 

"I'm okay. I'm okay," I say to her. 

"No you are not, you have a mark on your neck," Christina says.

"And Shauna has a bloody leg, so I'll be fine," I say. 

I walk over to Shauna and sit down next to her and I check what was put into my pocket. There was a serum and it was marked "Cellular Regeneration"

Perfect I thought. Maybe Evelyn isn't completely under the serum's influence. 

"Tris she's getting weaker by the minute and she isn't getting medical attention," Zeke says worriedly.

"Hey Zeke it's going to be okay. I got this," I say showing him the vial.

"Where did you get that? What is it?" he asks.

"Something that was slipped to me when we were walking here," I say. 

"Fingers crossed that it works," I say. 

I uncap the syringe, take a dep breath and plunge it into her. Shauna doesn't even flinch when that happens, she only blinks her eyes. The rest of our friends have gathered in a circle behind us, watching over intently waiting to see any signs of improvement. 

"I think she is going to be fine," I say to Zeke reassuringly.

Tobias sits down next to me and makes me face him. 

"You have it don't you," he says.

I nod...

______________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry I havent been on.... I'm currently in my assessment period so hence not as many updates.

So what do you guys think that the ring could be used for? 

Read Comment Vote

Keep smiling <3 <4