Chapter 22

Clang clang clang clang

Some absurd noise snaps me back into consciousness and I open my eyes.

Evelyn is standing at the door holding two frying pans which she obviously just bashed together to make that deafening sound.

I notice my friends are also awake and trying to shake the grogginess out of their system. The events of last night rush back to my memory. We were put to the test to the point where we almost drowned in water. Today we are going skydiving.

"Up and at em team. We are leaving in 30 minutes. I brought some muffins as breakfast for you and they are sitting on a tray on your bed. Get dressed and I'll meet you back here," Evelyn instructs.

We all get up and change. All of us get into an outfit that was neatly folded and placed with our breakfast muffin. It was a simple grey jumpsuit, fitting. The muffin was great. Choc chip has always been my favourite.

30 minutes pass with us not really saying a word to each other. I think the nerves have got everyone really bad. Evelyn opens the door and beckons for us to follow her. We comply following in single file.

She leads us to the FBI hanger bay, one that I didn't even know we had. Come to think of it I don't ever remember having those dorms in the FBI. Then again people have so many secrets.

The hanger bay is enormous. It is filled with every single aircraft imaginable as well as brands of cars I didn't know existed. We are led to a medium sized plane and I can only assume that this is the plane we are jumping out of.

Once we are all on the plane we each take a seat and strap ourselves in. I'm sitting across from Marlene and next to Christina and Uriah. We hear a slow grinding noise and soon the plane lifts off. It took me a second to realise that the ceiling of the hanger bay was the thing opening.

Once we are up in the sky most of us have that nervous look in our eyes. It was like this for awhile before Evelyn speaks up.

"Stop looking so worried you lot. Okay time to assemble your parachutes. Sling it like a backpack and clip it across the chest and tighten around each leg. Then get your helmet. You helmet is state of the art technology, it tells you altitude and any information you wish to find. It can also connect to your instructors and they will be able to monitor you," she says.

We each stand up and strap out head on. Poor Al is having trouble with his gear so I carefully walk over to help him. He smiles at me gratefully.

"Okay we are nearing the drop site. Helmets on team," Evelyn says.

I put my helmet on and it is pretty cool. It has facial recognition, everywhere I look it comes up with the name of the person and I can access their file. When looking at machinery I can see the brand and model and where they were made. This is so awesome!

My train of thought disappears when I feel a gust of air. The back end of the plane has opened and all I can see for miles are clouds and air.

Evelyn has to tell over the sound of the wind to be heard, "Okay there is a target down there that you should try to aim for believe me you can't miss it if you are trying to look for it. You don't have to get on it, it is just a reference for you. Your aim is to land undetected meaning you can't pull your parachute too early. The instructors have another instruction waiting after you jump."

I breath in and out.

There is a green light. The light that signals that we can jump.

"Let's go pansycakes!" Uriah hollers and jumps out of the plane.

I smile at Christina and jump next, the rest of my teammates following.

My stomach lurches as I free fall towards the earth. I love this feeling. It is as close to flying by myself as I'll ever get. Our group let out a series of whoops and yells. I even manage to do a loop the loop. Something I can finally cross off my bucket list. Suddenly Zeke's voice comes on from the built in com in our helmets.