Chapter 36

Its been at least an hour since Amar and Tori dropped a bomb load of information on us concerning our heritage. It's hard to believe that my parents were strong divergents.

After I had my little phase moment, Amar pulled Caleb and I aside. He told us that we were exceptions because techincally two strong divergents would theoretically cancel out and the child would go unnoticed... enter Natalie and Andrew Prior.

Amar explained to the both of us that the Prior line was not even from Chicago which is why our Divergents occur in every generation. The only thing different from the rest of the other family names is that we always happen to end up with strong Divergents.

Caleb and I sit back to back, he's facing outside where the guards are and I'm facing the pristine white walls. Shauna tried to comfort me but I ended up making sure that she was okay with her leg rather than the other way around. I've been zoned out like this forever.

During this time Uriah and Lynn are having a wrestling match on the floor while the rest of them are discussing Al and his sudden betrayal. One step at a time for me right?

"Hey Tris?" Caleb says breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" I respond.

"If there was one thing you could have done differently in life what would it be?" he asks.

"Probably try and stay out of the whole child spy stuff. That's what got us here in the first place," I say after some thought. As much as I hate it, I do remember the good times that it gave me. I remember Zeke giving me piggy bag rides and us racing against each other to purposely piss Max off. I remember the day that Uriah stopped being a pansycake and asked Marlene out. Christina's various fights with Lynn about wardrobe. Zeke proposing to Shauna after so many years together. Will and Al speaking the foreign language of technology to us during our meetings.

Did I really want to forget this? Or am I just being selfish?

"I would want to do that day over again. It felt like if we had just not been there none of this would have happened. I wish were another family, one that didn't have the last name Prior," he says.

"As much as I hate our family ties I wouldn't want to change my last name..." I say thoughtfully.

"I guess as the Chases or Jacksons or Stolls we would have had opportunities not as great as these huh," he says.

"Caleb?" I ask turning around to face him.

He does the same and looks at me. I take the chain off my neck and hold it in my hand to him.

"Do you really think I can open it? What's Jeanine going to do to me?"

"I'm sure you can. But what has it got to do with the ring? Amar said it was coded by Edith Prior and Isadora Eaton so what does that have to do with the ring," he says.

I finger the ring in my left hand and it accidentally slips on to my pointer finger, just where it bends that's behind the nail. I feel a sharp prick and a zap.

"OUCH!" I yell abruptly standing up and flinging the ring all the way to where the wrestling match was.

Everyone stops what they are doing and looks at me. I ignore their stares and exam my finger. There is a nice slash like it sent some controlled electrical current to pierce my skin. Blood was flowing out of the wound. Caleb was on his feet examining my finger and Tobias knelt down to pick up with ring.

"What happened?" Will asked.

"I-I don't know. I-I was playing with the ring and it slipped on to my finger and next minute there is a buzz and pain and flung it across the room," I say.