The Misery of a Murderer

~Haiden~

The hiss of a match caressed my ears like the soothing hum of cicadas at sunset, while the spark of the flame ominously reflected in my blood-red eyes. Fluffy white clouds drifted peacefully over my head and the wind whispered through the tiny white clusters of grape flowers all around me. My back was facing the forest edge, with the young, unbloomed wolfsbane mere inches behind my feet. I peered over at the mid-morning sunbeams gliding through the branches of lofty oaks, casting quivering patches of light upon the roof of the quaint stone cottage where I had first met Isabelle. I both loved and hated that memory. 

With a dark expression, I dropped the match, letting it set the trail of kerosene I'd created ablaze. The flames swiftly crawled their way through the silent field of grapevines and blossoms, up to the old weathered planks of the large wine barrel-filled barn... The barn where that odious hunter fucked my mate... My upper lip curved over my sharp canines as I snarled, watching in satisfaction as the barn abruptly ignited into a roaring pillar of flames, fueled by the alcohol inside. The crackling fire licked at the weakening walls and large sliding door, charing them like the fires of Hades blackening souls.

Can't afford to buy silver bullets if you have no wine to sell...

Careful to avoid touching the wolfsbane, I crept back into the shadows of the forest. There was no doubt in my mind that Isabelle had conceived a couple weeks ago. Her scent had subtly changed and I could feel it within my soul. And now that she was carrying my pup, my instincts to protect her had heightened dramatically. I was going to diligently eliminate all threats to them. 

I had hoped to find the hunter in the cottage so I could kill him right then and there. But unfortunately, I had burst into an empty home. One that looked completely abandoned and unrepaired. He no doubt knew that I'd be hunting him. Yet I doubted he knew the extent to which I yearned to spill his blood. No, he was clueless to the way I'd fantasized about hearing his skull and spine crunch within my beastly jaws. The way my claws itched to feel his flesh helplessly shredding beneath them, as he screamed out in excruciating agony. To taste the crimson rivers which would flow from his mutilated and mangled body... Still, the wine was his livelihood, and I would gladly take that away from him in the meantime.

The damp forest soil felt soft on my bare feet as fur sprouted across my body and my bones rearranged. My wolf form greedily inhaled all the fresh fragrances of the spring. From the white water lilies blooming upon a nearby pond to the pink crab apple blossoms. The moss and the mud, the bark and the birds, every scent teemed with vernal vitality. 

As my paws dashed along, heading back to pack territory, the scent of a familiar wolf streamed into my senses. I came to a sudden stop, looking around for my pack brother. The wind played with the wavering spears of grass and danced with the wild daffodils, as a large brown wolf emerged over the top of a large mossy rock. Friendly silver eyes peered down at me, yet they seemed to hold a glimmer of hesitance. 

I shifted first, letting the leaf-filtered sunlight kiss my skin as I brushed my hair out of my face. "Costache." I greeted with a smile. He'd been acting distant with me since that night by the frozen lake, and I hoped to reconcile with him.

He shifted as well, pulling his hair up with a black string tied around his wrist. "How's it going, Haiden?" He returned my smile as he jumped down, making his dick dramatically flop up and down as he did so. "Enjoying this lovely weather?"

A mother bird brought a big fat bug to feed her chirping chicks in a nest overhead, as I glanced around at all the springtime beauty, finding small talk better than him avoiding me. "Yes, actually. Are you out here to do the same?"