Hadeon of Hades

~Haiden~

Low creeping mist carpeted the cracked stone floor of the ancient cloister where Costache, Cirna, and I silently wandered down. Each crumbling byzantine arch opened up to reveal hellish scenery of sickly hissing flames that were unnaturally dim for their size. They eerily flicked their burning tongues at the unending darkness, contorting in a daemonic and mysterious dance that no fire on earth could ever mimic. Wails of forlorn souls hauntingly echoed out from the flames, their piercing howls of agony twisting my gut with a harrowing sense of dread. Every now and then I'd see the faint silhouette of some poor soul writhing in torment. I inwardly shuddered in revulsion.

A decrepit and decayed hand suddenly jutted out from the vine-laden wall beside us with a frightening shriek. Its gaunt and spindly fingers desperately grasped at Costache, nearly tearing his black cloak. "Oh, fuck!" He quickly jumped out of the way and captured Crina in a protective hold. "Libitina sure does know how to make a place spooky." He laughed while smoothing out his frazzled mustache.

"Yes, she does all that she can to make it as unwelcoming as possible." My cloak flicked out behind me as I hastened my steps. There was a look of determination frozen on my features as I peered up ahead, ignoring the putrescent stench of burning flesh and decay searing into my nostrils.

Memories of this place continued to stream into my mind the further we went. This cloister was designed to feel as though it continued on forever. The illusion of time and space would warp as soon as one stepped foot inside of it. It deceptively made one feel hopeless and forever trapped, wandering back and forth until they were eventually driven to madness and jumped through the arches and into the flames. Unfortunately, it was within the flames where they would be ensnared forevermore. We'd likely only been walking for five minutes, and yet, it felt like several days had gone by. Costache and Crina had expressed their unease about continuing on, but I was certain we were almost halfway to the end. And I would stop at nothing until I had my Isabelle back.

"So what's the plan once we find our way out of here?" Crina nervously clung to Costache's arm. Her wide silvery eyes peered up at the moaning bodies entangled within the withered vines stretching across the high arched ceiling.

I reached down and brushed the starlight dagger with my fingertips, subconsciously needing the reassurance that it was still there. "Once we reach the end of this cloister, we will find a grand door leading to The Chamber of the Cursed where lycan souls dwell. Libitina's throne room is just beyond the chamber. It's guarded by the mighty serpent, Occasus, also known as The Noxavorous. He is made of eternal darkness and forever tries to feed upon his own tail. It's only when a lycan tries to escape that he releases himself to devour the straying soul."

"Oh, that's awful!" Fear flashed through Crina's eyes. "Is the soul doomed once it's trapped in the snake's belly?"

I shook my head. "No, it only prolongs their stay here. Libitina ensures that lycan souls always reincarnate. The more lycans that are on earth, the more human souls she's able to harvest." My eyes shifted over to her with an eerie crimson glow. "We're going to have to kill The Noxavorous in order to get to the throne room." 

"Right, right." Costache's boots stepped over something particularly crunchy, nearly tripping him. It was likely a brittle skeleton hidden beneath the mist. "Well, I'm sure the two of us will be able to give it a good run for its money!" He goofily laughed while pretending to box with the air, causing Crina to swoon.

I softly chuckled as well while peering over at them, having missed my good friend dearly. It was nice to see them reunited and happy again.

I just hope that I can have the same with my mate...