A Fine Line Between Love and Insanity

Snowflakes softly fluttered to the pale frozen ground like spectre tears falling from the grey sullen sky. They gently landed upon the frost-laden trees, silently cladding each slumbering branch and twig with a fluffy layer of winter's white crystalline veil. The midnight blue current of the river peacefully glided past snow mounds sloping over the thick outcroppings of layered ice, while a big brown doe carefully drank from the whirling water's edge.

I held Callie's purring little body snuggly to my chest, as I stared out at the mournfully beautiful world through the frost-kissed kitchen window, waiting for Haiden's return. Five full moons had come and gone since my arrival in this country, and with each day that passed my feelings for him seemed to grow greater than those of the day before. By now I had fully accepted that he was my mate, and also the origin of my madness. Whether it was a blessing or a curse, I wasn't sure. But as the glimmering world had frozen over, my heart had begun to thaw.

Memories of the life I'd left behind still haunted me, and my heart still ached to see my family again. But I'd become strangely content living here among the lycans. It felt as though I were a ghost wandering around these foreign woods. Dead to the world I once knew, yet alive in my new mythical reality of moon magic and monsters. 

Things were simplistic here, and yet, I'd never before felt so fulfilled. Haiden and I would spend most of our time enjoying one another's company. Each day we'd go for long walks through the frost-gilded forestlands, cook meals and eat together, and attend whatever pack shenanigans were going on. We'd spend hours snuggled up on the couch with a book while he tried to teach me the native language. He'd even write me love letters in Romanian, asserting that only once I learned to understand it would I be able to read them. We'd watch the resplendence of the setting sun while he held me in his arms, then make love as the stars sparkled across sapphire oceans of the heavens. 

Yet not riveting sunsets nor star-laden skies could compare to the beauty of what was blossoming between us. With every enchanting word of affection spoken and tender touch of passion shared, our bodies and souls further entwined with the spellbinding and sight-blinding bond of mateship. And as the icy walls of my willpower melted and crumbled out from beneath me, I started to fall into the deep dark pit of L-

Lunacy... I'm losing my goddamn mind!

With Callie still in my arms, I shook my head and walked over to the stovetop, then used a long wooden spoon to stir the big pot of chicken soup I'd been making. Little golden beads of oil floated upon the bubbling surface while a medley of chopped vegetables, rice, and chunks of chicken all swirled together as though caught in a mini whirlpool. Callie's little pink nose excitedly twitched while we both inhaled the steamy savory scent together... Oh yeah, that smells delicious.

I tapped the spoon on the edge of the cast iron pot so it wouldn't drip, then placed it on a stone spoon rest and hastily paced back over to the window. The dreary snowscapes were a stark contrast to the warmly lit cozy cabin, with the roaring fire and candle lanterns flickering all around. I lightly kissed Callie on top of her soft fuzzy head and gave her chin a quick scratch, while staring pitifully out into the frozen woods, wondering what was taking him so dang long. 

...Fuck, I've become just as much of a pitiful puppy as he is.

I was just about to check and see how much the loaf of bread I was making had risen, when a dark figure suddenly emerged from between the snow-cloaked trees... Oh! Oh! There he is!... I squeezed Callie a little tighter while watching him tread through the deep snow with a container in his hand. My heart rate quickened with excitement, beating faster with each step he took. As if he sensed my ogling eyes upon him, he glanced up and flashed a charming grin of amusement my way. I smiled back, then excitedly rushed over to the door.