Chapter 18

Took every bit of me not to crash the car to the house. I frantically ran out of the drivers seat and into the dark. "What should we get?" Trixie yelled through the room. "Anything that's light and important" I answered. I quickly rummaged through the living room and came to the photo of me and Trixie that sat on a mantle. I glanced at it for a moment. Such an innocent time. At least one where we didn't realize how completely messed up our lives were about to become. 

I ran upstairs to my room and began packing a bag, throwing clothes all over the place.  I'd been here before. Twice before actually. I knew the routine and what had to be done.  However, this time, I was stopped dead in my tracks when I heard the bedroom door slam.  I jumped at the sudden noise and grabbed the steak knife I had taken out of the drawer the moment I came into the house.  When I spun around, ready to use it if need be, there stood the 6 foot dangerous looking boulder of a man before me.  I could feel myself start to breathe again, and tossed the knife back down on to the bed.

We stood there in silence for a moment. His eyes were filled with what looked to be both fury and sadness.  He took walked over to me and placed his hands on both sides of my arms.  I remembered a short time before where he would do this, and I'd tremble in fear.  But now, fear was replaced by comfort.  "You're not going anywhere." He finally spoke.  I could feel tears begin to form in my eyes.  "I have to.  He knows I'm close. He'll keep looking and he'll find me. He'll hurt everyone in this town even, just to make a point." I knew I was crying by then, only once he pulled me into his chest and held me tightly.  I could hear him let out a sigh. "I know I keep a lot of what we DR's do a secret from you. Mostly, because I don't want you to look at me any certain way.  But I can promise you one thing. If someone is trying to hurt you at all, they won't be able to make it past our borders." His words filled me with a small bit of hope.  But soon, that hope diminished. "You don't know what he's capable of.  He's not gang leader that rides a motorcycle.  He's sick and twisted. He'll use any angle he can to get what he wants." I didn't want to sound like I was insulting him or his boys in anyway. But in my head all I could think of was a man from North Carolina fighting with a man from Nevada. A man who ran countless drug and prostitution rings. A man who's killed, and more than likely had a hand in killing, hundreds if not more. Just because they looked at him wrong. I couldn't imagine my now "somewhat" gentle teddy bear of a man being able to win against that. Then again, in the beginning, my view of him was the complete opposite.

He loosed his hold on me and lifted my chin to meet his eyes which were now changed to pitch black.  "I don't know who this person is, why you're scared of them, or why they're after you.  But again, you don't know what we're capable of.  You also don't know how many men we have or how many alliances we've made.  If someone is trying to hurt you........I'll make sure if it that they die first."

***************************************

This one is short. But another will be added by the end of the day