Chapter 14

My eyes fluttered as I tried to open them. My body felt like I worked out with a personal trainer the day before.  It had been a long time since I was that much into it with anyone.  And every muscle felt it.

I smiled as I rolled over to place my arm around him. Only him wasn't there.  My smile dissipated instantly at the realization of his absence. I rolled over to my other side and my mind started to wander of all the bad things one would think of in that moment.  I grabbed my phone to look at the time: 7:32am and a text. I opened the text from the unknown number. It was Jeff:

Had work to do. Sorry I didn't wake you, but you needed sleep. Text me when you're awake.

My smile returned. And then I thought to myself when did he even get my number?! This was the first time he had ever texted me. I pushed the thought away. I was sure Joanie had given it to him.

I began to get ready for the day. I was working later so I made sure to set my clothes out for the bar. I was stalled by my phone dinging

I'm almost there

Trixie's message made my heart jump. I wasn't sure how I felt with her coming to this town.  All I knew was that I was somewhat relived that she was finally safe.

I was about to text her back when another message came through.

Jeff: are you really still sleeping?

I had forgotten to text him when I woke up.

Me: I woke up a little bit ago. Was trying to get ready. I completely forgot to text you back. Sorry.

I threw my phone on the bed and began to finish getting ready for what I could only imagine was going to be an interesting day.

******************************************

the night was unusually busy. Joanie and I were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I was mid pour when the door opened wide. Probably a dozen DR's walked in at the same time.

"Shit. As if we need anymore business tonight." Joanie mumbled under her breath. I laughed at her annoyance. "Trust me. You won't be upset at close when you count that drawer." I gave her an elbow nudge and she laughed back. "You're right sweetie. I won't be. But let me bitch for the time being." She smirked and gave me a peck on the cheek as she walked across the bar to help a customer.

I had my back turned from the bar as I was working at the register, when I felt a hand grip my waist. "Hello beautiful." I quickly jumped up and spun around, only to be met with smoldering eyes. "Jeff! You can't be back here. Joanie will kill you!" I gasped and I tried pushing him away before Joanie caught him. He wasn't budging. "I think I can handle Joanie on my own." He gave an evil grin. I glanced over in Joanie's direction. She was still taking orders. " I'm pretty sure she could take you. Now go." I ordered him with a playful push. This time he listened. "Fine. I'll go back to my table boss." He leaned down and pecked my lips quickly before heading off to his table, looking back to make sure Joanie didn't see him.

I released the breath that for some reason I was holding in, as I began to collect the beer for the group of men as well as the wine for their few "lady friends".   As I walked over to the 4 tables they were taking up, I noticed little miss Caroline. Only this time, she was sitting on a different man's lap, two seats away from Jeff.

I placed everything down on each table, leaving Jeff's for last.  As I was finished delivering their drinks, I was about to walk back to the bar, when suddenly I felt myself falling backwards into what felt like a wall. "Why don't you take a break for a bit?  Spend some time with me?" I turned my head to see Jeff with a pout on his face.  I rolled my eyes. "I can't. You see how busy it is tonight. Joanie needs me." The moment the words left my mouth, I could hear yelling coming from across the bar. "No distracting my employees Mr! I don't care if you're a boss, I'll shoot your hand right off!" Joanie's grin was ear to ear. All I could do was laugh. "Yeah yeah. You'd be too scared to do it to him. You'd make me do it." Don yelled back from the chair next to where Jeff and I were sitting.

I got myself out of his hold and stood up, fixing my white tee shirt that had gotten untucked by his hands.  I leaned down and grabbed a hold of Jeff's beard, tugging it a bit to pull his face to mine. "Behave" I whispered.  His smirk told me that was probably not going to happen.

Just as I got back behind the bar, i continued my job.  As I was pouring whiskey into a glass, the door to the bar opened.  I only looked up because it became dead silent.  When I looked up, everyone was starring at the door.  I looked into the same direction, and noticed a very familiar face that had the look of fear written all over it.........

Trixie