Chapter 15

I quickly go over to Joanie. "Give me a few minutes?" I ask. She looks over at Trixie then back to me, confused obviously. She nods her head giving me the ok.

As I walk out from behind the bar, the customers start making noise again. I walk through the small crowd and I am face to face with my roommate of 5 years. "You made it." Was all I could say with a small smile. The moment her eyes met mine, the fearful expression softens. "Mimi!!!!" She yells out loud, wrapping her arms around me. I've missed this girl more than I could ever imagine. She helped me through hell and back. And I her. We were like sisters. "Come on Trix. I'll buy you a drink. Or 5." I say as I guide her back to the bar.

Once we get there, I made sure to sit her next to Mark. "Mark, this is my best friend Trixie. Keep her company and don't let anyone mess with her." I say, guiding her to sit down. Mark's face lights up at her beauty. "I'd be more than honored" I can hear her nervously giggle at his words. She quickly grabs my arm back and whispers into my ear. "Are you sure these people are......ok?" She sounds nervous. I take my ear away from me and grin. "Yes hun. They're fine."

I walk back behind the bar, when I'm met with a brick wall. "Who's she?" Joanie questions. I wasn't sure if the look on Joanie's face was that of anger, or jealousy. "She's a good friend of mine. I'll explain everything later." It took Joanie (as well as most of the people in this town) a bit to really warm up to me. It honestly wasn't until Jeff started stalking me at the bar that it kind of happened. I hadn't even thought for a second that they'd be leery of another newcomer. Joanie shook her head in agreement and continued to help customers. For the second time that night, I realized I had been holding my breath. I looked over at Jeff's table and noticed he was starring me down.

********************************************

The night finally died down. Most customers were gone. Some DR's lingered, including Jeff, Don and Pete. Caroline was of course still sitting on another man's lap. Wasn't sure if it was the same one as earlier in the night. They all started to look the same, except from the three I knew personally.

Joanie was at the register, counting the money from the night. I walked over to Trixie and handed her one more drink. "How are you feeling?" I asked, taking a sip of my own. She looked up at me with almost tears in her eyes. "Honestly? Scared. Tired. Confused. Free." Her explanation made so much sense to me, I could never explain it to anyone else, except her.

We stood there in silence for a moment. But the silence was interrupted when Jeff walked up. "Ok, young buck here is dying to know who your friend is. And honestly, I'd like a few questions answered myself." I could see Trixie look Jeff up and down slowly.  Her head snapped into my direction, and once again the look of fear is present all over her face. "Calm down girl. This is Jeff. He's...." I started to say. "Her man." Jeff interrupted me. I looked at Trixie . Her fear was no longer evident. She began to smile. "Well of course my little Mimi would find the hottest guy in town." She grabbed her glass and held it up to cheer me. I followed her lead, out of routine with her. We were interrupted yet again by a throat clear.

Just then, Don pushed Pete over.  I was shocked for a moment. But then understood what they were doing. "Pete. Meet my friend Trixie.  Trixie. Meet Pete" his eyes widen and his smile was beaming. "Hey. I guess they're right." Pete slurred. Wasn't sure if it was from the beer or because he was nervous.  "Who's right?" Trixie asks.  I started laughing. I knew where it was going to go. "Everyone....when they say the most gorgeous girls come from Vegas." His words made all of us start laughing. Poor boy. Trixie also took pity on him.  "Well hunny. When they say
'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' they're not lying" I was comforted by the fact that she was warming up to them so quickly.

I suddenly felt an arm around my waist. "Who is she?" Jeff's whisper in my ear. I turn away from the small crowd and faced him. "I'll try and explain at my house". He takes my words, and in that moment, lands his lips on mine. I could hardly breathe. But I knew we were amongst others. "Come home with me?" I asked, in order to get out of his hold. He glared into me "I'll follow you home babe"

Our little moment was interrupted by someone clearing their throat.  "Sooooo we have met.  Name's Joanie." She holds out her hand.  Trixie takes it. "Trixie. But you can call me Trix." A nervous laugh comes from Pete. "Ha like the cereal." It was hard to tell if he was drunk, and/or terrible at flirting.  Trixie just giggles. "I guess so. Only I'm not as sweet." Joanie slams her hand down on the bar loudly. "Man. I seem to like everything that comes out of Vegas. Don! You need to take me." Joanie yells, pointing at Don. He just scratches his head. "Yeah yeah. Chances are you end up getting me drunk and I'd wake up in the lobby of one of those walk-in wedding chapels." His words made us all laugh, because knowing Joanie, she would do just that.

We finish closing up and I turn around to everyone. "I'm going home. You all can grill Trix tomorrow." I grab my purse and motion to Trixie to follow. Jeff grabs my arm and whispers into my ear. "I'll be there soon."

Trixie and I walk to my car. The moment we get in I look over at her. "You ready for this town?" I ask with a smirk. She gives me a small chuckle. "What could be worse than where we were before?"