Chapter 6

His form of payment shocked me.  His request didn't sound demanding, violent, vulgar, or even inappropriate at the moment.  He wasn't forcing anything.  It was almost sweet in a weird way. His way.

At that moment, my body took over before my brain.  I lifted my hand to his face. Almost immediately, he followed the same action. He pressed his lips against mine. I was somewhat expecting rough and hard, but his mouth moved in a way that was the complete opposite of what his image made him seem like.  Almost instantly I felt an electric jolt curse through my body.  I hadn't had a man kiss me with such tenderness and passion in what felt like forever.  It wasn't fear I was feeling anymore. It was longing.

He pulled his lips away and pressed his forehead against mine, both of us trying to catch our breath. "I probably should have asked, you're not a contagious kind of sick. Are you?" He laughed a bit. I couldn't help but laugh back at him. "No. Nothing like that."  The thought of him being a germaphobe crossed my mind, and made me amused. "Good" he quickly placed his lips back to their position. It took me by surprise that I couldn't catch my breath.  I felt him move his hand to my lower back, pulling me even closer. But there was no where else for me go.  I wasn't sure where this was going to go, until his phone rang in his pocket, which made him release me suddenly.

"Hel.....hello?" He tried to catch his breath.  As he listened to the person on the other end of the call, he starred at me. He hardly even blinked, almost as if he was afraid if he did, I'd disappear. "Ok. I'll be right there" he answered as he hung up his phone and placed it back in his pocket. "I have to take care of something. I'm sorry." He grabbed back onto both my arms. I looked up at him, still trying to wrap my head around what had just happened. "I'm not scared anymore." The thought was suppose to stay in my head, but left my lips. I was beginning to get annoyed with myself. Around him, it seemed to happen too often.

He gave me another smirk and lightly kissed my forehead. "Good. Also, have Joanie bring you to my place tomorrow. Your car will be done a day early." My car.  I had almost forgotten about it in that moment. I nodded my head yes and watched him walk out my door.

I sat down on the couch trying to think. Was that it? Was that literally all he wanted? He could have had me right then and there. But he didn't make a single move. But I also knew his phone could have had something to do what that.

I threw myself onto the couch. I could still feel his lips on mine. My brain was all over the place. I didn't know how I was going to be able to face him the next day.

***************************************

We drove down a dirt road. Trees surrounding us. I felt like I was being taken right into some kind of horror movie.  Joanie was kind enough to give me a lift. She seemed to glance over at me every now and then. But also seemed worried. "Still feeling a little under the weather?" She finally asked. All I could do was nod my head yes. "Look as those circles under your eyes. You look like you haven't slept a wink." She continued. She wasn't wrong. So many different thoughts and feelings kept me up once again all night.

We pulled up into a clearing. I could see a small log cabin style house, with a bigger building beside it. I automatically assumed that was his garage.  "Here we are? You want me to walk you up?" Joanie asked as she put the car in park. I once again only nodded.

We walked up to the bigger building. I soon realized my assumption was correct. "Hey boss." Joanie called out. Jeff emerged from the side of a bike he was working on, with no shirt on. My heart skipped a beat. "Hey pain in the ass." He called back to her.  She laughed and walked towards him, giving him a peck on the cheek. I stood at the entrance of the garage still as he looked over at me.  "I don't bite." He said to me. I could hear Joanie chuckle. "Yeah right. Try convincing our town of that. She ain't dumb ya know." Her words made me smile a bit as I looked down at the ground.

Jeff walked over to his work bench and picked up a set of keys.  As he walked over towards me, I could see the sweat on his chest. "It's working fine now." He handed me my keys and glared at me. "Thank you." Was all I could say back. "Wow. That's the most she's talked all day. She's alive again." Joanie appeared before us. I smiled at her and looked back down at the floor. "Alright well, I need to get going. Not wasting my whole day off in here. See ya tomorrow sweetie. Text me later and let me know how you're feeling." She waved at Jeff and walked to her car.

As I watched her drive away, I felt Jeff grab my hand.  "You look worse today than yesterday." He announced. I gave him a dirty look. "I haven't slept in two days. You don't have to point out the obvious ya know." My words made him shake his head.  He began walking out of the garage and towards the house, my hand still tightly in his grip. I had no other option but to follow close behind.

We walked through the door into a kitchen. I looked around and noticed frames all over the place.  I walked over towards one and saw an older man, sitting next to his bike, who looked a lot like Jeff. "Is this you?" I asked, pointing to the picture.  Jeff opened up the fridge and took out two beer bottles. "No. It's my dad. Probably around my age." His answer sounded hollow. I was afraid to ask the next question. "Is he.....still around?" I stuttered.  Jeff cleared his throat for a moment. "No. Died shortly after that picture was taken. Right after his 30th birthday.  Got into a fight with another gang, one in a a few counties over.  He didn't win." I quickly backed away from the picture.  I knew i really shouldn't have asked.

I walked over towards him, arms folded. He handed me the second bottle, making sure to open it first.  I took it in my hands and played with the condensation around it.  "Thought you said you weren't scared of me." He finally said. I looked up to see his eyes directly at mine. "I'm not really. Just a little confused. And tired." I wasn't lying.  He placed his bottle on the counter in front of us, and placed one hand on my arm. Just as he did the night before. "I don't want you driving while you're this tired." His words jolted me. Why does he think he can demand things like this from me? Tell me what to do? His authority was making my head hurt. "I'm a big girl.  I'll be fine." I spit out as I placed the untouched bottle on the counter next to his.

He stood straight up from his leaning, his body tense. He placed his other hand on my other arm, squeezing them a little, pulling me closer. It was a replay from the night before. "You like to disobey. Don't you?" He asked, lips inches from mine. My blood started to boil. "And who said you were in a place where I should obey you?" The moment the words left my mouth, I knew I shouldn't have said it.  His grip on me tightened. He then released them, only to place one behind my lower back, and the other to grip my jaw.  My body had no idea what to feel in that moment.  "One thing you need to know little red, is that I tend to always get what I want." His words made me panic a bit.  A faint memory from Vegas came rushing back to me.  The memory was one of despair and utter fear. Helplessness.

I pushed myself back away from him. Panting loudly.  The crippling feeling over came me. I felt like falling to the floor in the fetal position.  Jeff walked towards me, reaching out.  My instincts kicked in and I slapped his hand away.  It didn't even occur to me who he was or what he was capable of doing to me for such an action.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it in any kind of way. Seriously. Are you ok?" I could hear worry in his voice.  I closed my eyes.  Trying to shake the feeling. "It's fine. It's not you really. I just........I have to go." I tried to muffle up.

I took the keys off the counter where I laid them and walked out the door towards the garage where my car was. I could hear him follow me. Once inside my car, he held the door open. "I scared you again. Didnt I?" He asked. I pulled my seatbelt on and started the engine.  Trying to think of a way to tell him. "No offense. But your not the scariest man I've ever met."