Get Up

I was now regretting the decision to travel with a group. Sure it was safer, but I was completely capable of taking care of myself. And so was Zara, after all she was still alive, and it had only been two and a half weeks. My father wanted there to be large variety of skills, but still small enough to be fast. So our team consisted of Battle-claws, Scribe-claws, and even Meðal-claws.

So here I was, walking calmly along the Ice-claw border, sizing up my new travel mates. Jay was coming, Sarah had decided this was his initiation, before he was fully accepted as a Meðal-claw. Apparently Meðal-claw teachers were aloud to decide when their pupil's apprenticeship was over, I had to train for a year before I got an initiation.

Coming along also was Seirra, Skylark, Sarah, and Skylark's teacher Lysander. Ocaso, Annabeth, and Kennon had persuaded their parents as well. And the two Scribe-claws were arguing, deciding where exactly we were going.

"I just saying if we cut straight through White-claw territory we'll be at the desert border by nightfall," said Skylark.

"I'm saying, my young apprentice, you calculated your distance wrong. We still have to hunt, and we need to stop at water sources on the way. We need to go around or we'll be stuck in enemy territory," replied Lysander.

Lysander was a very light color of yellow, and had bright green eyes that sparkled when he knew he was right. Which was happening right now as Skylark realized she had indeed, measured it wrong.

"Rattails!" She cursed, "this is going to take forever!"

I felt a pang of disappointment and dropped back. Zara had survived this long, but I had no info on her current state, I needed to get to her fast.

"Wait! I think Iv'e forgotten a scroll!" squeaked Skylark suddenly.

We all groaned, this was the fourth scroll she had forgotten. I looked skeptically at her pack. Everyone here had different things in their bird-made bags. (Made in Coniurantum) I had next to nothing, I even argued that I didn't need one but Mom is persistent. Mine just had a few pieces of dried vole and my little wooden mouse. The same one that brought back my memories after the defeat of Scrylla. Sierra's had more dried food, Jay and Sarah carried the most necessary herbs. Lysander and Skylark carried the most scrolls I have ever seen. I had no idea what my fellow heirs had, but Kennon's bulged suspiciously.

"Op, nefer min, is 'ight 'ere," she trumpeted, holding a large piece of paper in her mouth.

I rolled my eyes and Sierra walked a little faster to catch up with me.

"Why aren't we flying?" I asked her, a little miffed.

"The tree cover too thick, we'll take off once we're at a clearing," She answered.

We padded along in silence while those two Scribe-claws did more friendly bickering. It was going to be a long day.

A few hours later, we took a break, at a clearing, thank Glamora. Sierra and I were going off to hunt, the dried food was strictly for emergencies. I hoped to learn from her, sure I had caught a pigeon, once, but that was mostly luck. I knew next to nothing on finding the actual food.

"When you look for prey, you must keep very low to the ground, you never know when something might be right next to you, then you smell, and listen for any giveaways," she Instructed.

I watched her as she flattened herself to the ground, then pricked her ears and took a deep breath. She didn't move for a full thirty-four seconds, I was about to say something when suddenly she launched herself at a nearby tree. It was so quiet, and with her tawny wings folded in my teachers shot off like an arrow. She hit the tree and bounced off, softly gliding down till she landed in front of me with a moth in her mouth.

"The greatest hunting masters can hear a butterfly's wingbeat, and smell the fear scent of beetles." Sierra told, spitting out the moth.

"Wow!" I breathed, that was amazing.

"Now, copy my stance," She said, and pressed herself against the ground.

I lowered myself down, my chin pressing on the dirt.

"Lower,"

I felt like a snake, an uncomfortable snake. She flapped up to a tree branch, and watched me from above.

"Now listen and smell, chances are you wont be able to see your prey."

I took a deep breath, but didn't smell anything but plants and dirt. Frustrated, I breathed in again.

"Don't forget, you have ears too, smelling isn't everything," she chided.

I swiveled my ears forward, and something squeaked ahead of me. I couldn't see it, and I couldn't smell it. I moved forward every so slightly, it squeaked again.

"Good, don't go to fast or it will spot you coming," she said quieter.

I crawled forward and soon I could I see it, a little mouse. Apparently that meant it could see me. I lunged forward but it had already scampered off into it's hole. I growled and and stomped the ground.

"Great job!" praised Sierra, dropping in front of me.

"But it got away," I whined.

"But you executed my instructions perfectly."

I felt my spirits lift from the complement. It was pretty good wasn't it?

"How come I couldn't smell it?" I asked.

She bowed her head and sniffed the ground.

"Sage, that mouse was running around in sage recently, that stuff is overpowering." Sierra informed.

"Oh, that's good, I thought my nose was broken for a second," I laughed.

She chuckled, "Now, perfect your stance, this time, you will catch something."