Wolves of the Sky

Zachariah
-----------------

I flapped my wings lazily as we flew over the desert. It was the middle of night and we had made it half way to our destination. The White-claw border backed right up against a desert, which was called the Desert of Shattered Glass, as I was informed by Lysander. And Skylark shared that if we flew by night all the heat of the day would be slowly seeping from the sand and into the air. Making late night flying extremely easy, since some of our crew were underage, and flying was still new. I still can't believe Annabeth and Ocaso were eleven years old and Jamboree let them come with us.

"Do you see that constellation ahead of us?" Said Lysander, staring up at the night sky.

I looked up, honestly, all I saw were stars. It took me a couple seconds to remember my astrology but a shape soon made itself present. The face of a tiger.

"That's Suka, her eyes always face north," He said.

"But we're not going north," Puzzled Kennon.

"Nope, we're going east," he answered.

Sierra dropped closer from above me, with a suspicious smile curling on her lips.

"I have an idea, I think it's time for another lesson," She said.

"Right now?" It was very dark, I had no idea how this would work.

"Yep, I'm going to teach you how to hunt and fight in the air, and in the dark."

Excitement rose up in my chest. Now we're talking, we floated a little farther away to give the others space. She started my hunting lesson by flying in large circles. Catching bugs while she went, bugs taste weird, but they're edible. She also showed me flying positions that protect your weak spots and leave you open to swipe. It was going very well until the first scream.

It was an earsplitting shriek that slowly rose to a pitch so high my ears started hurting. I gasped in agony and started to drop from the sky quickly. Then came the wingbeats, hundreds of flying creatures swarmed around us. It was so thick I couldn't see the others. I thumped against the still-warm sand while clutching my head in pain. Something bit at my scruff and pulled my head to the ground. I struggled and fought to no avail and the screaming noise became so loud I started to lose consciousness. The last thing I saw was the face of a tiny wolf-like animal with beady eyes and large ears, then I was swallowed by darkness.

When I came too, the first thing I felt was a brain cracking head ache. I groaned while my mind sent painful throbs through my nerves. Cracking my eyes open a bit, I saw it was very dark. So dark, the only thing I could make out were little shapes twitching back and forth. They made little chirps that triggered more pain response.

Something was tied around my feet, and my wings. My tail flicked angrily at the fact, where were my friends? Where am I? I was about to call out for someone when a sharp, feminine, voice resonated throughout what I think was a cave.

"Marked one, why have you come to our domain?" Said the voice.

"Who are you? Where I my friends?" I demanded.

"We are the Nocte Terrores, and your accomplices are in the same position you are in, thief!"

"Ardere!" Kennon's voice rang around the cavern and sent my head spinning.

All of a sudden a bright light burst out like an explosion of glitter. I could see everything, the glowing gravel that had spilled from Kennon's sack. I saw the hideous creatures that occupied every inch of their disgusting quarters. More importantly I saw their leader, with a squished, gnarled face, huge ears, glistening fangs, and and shocked expression. The largest bat I have ever seen stood before me trying to cover her face.

"Put it out!" She cried, "put it out or I'll curse you all!"

Multiple bats started flooding in from all sides. They crawled all over me scratching and biting my fur.

"Liberum!" Kennon's voice trumpeted again.

The ropes on my sides fell away and dissolved. I got to my feet and started whacking the bats around my ankles.

"Zach, fly!" Sierra called down from above.

I looked up to see everyone up and already disappearing out a small hole in the ceiling. I jumped into the air and pumped my wings hard. All her followers had come to the same conclusion I had, freedom is upwards. A bat bit into my leg and I had to pause to shake it off. The opening was so close now, I folded my wings and shot forward, and out into the open air.

"You will not escape me forever! The curse of Mortem is upon your wings, they will not aid you in your direst time, you have been cursed!" She screamed.

I breathed hard and fast in my desperate attempt to escape. The rest of the group was ahead and I caught up to them quite easily. Everyone was tired and exhausted, and when Sarah suggested we land. The group dropped swiftly from the sky. I curled up on the sand and shivered. It was cold in the desert night. I was thirsty, and tired. My eyes were just closing when someone gasped.

"Zach! What's on your head?" Said Sarah.

"Oh no," breathed Kennon, pushing his way roughly in front of me while I clawed desperately at my forehead.

"What! What's on my head?!" I screeched.

"What is on his head? I'd like a full detail description please?" Said a very annoyed Jay.

"It's a symbol, the curse of Mortem, I thought she was joking, there's only a few powerful enough to cast such a curse," gulped Kennon.

"That must have been Evaki, the mistress of bats, she's extremely powerful. This is bad, this is really bad," gasped Skylark, pacing around.

"What's the curse of Mortem?" I asked, trying to locate the pulsing purple glow that had taken home on my head.

"Mortem, it's a very ancient word, it's comes from the earliest dialects of Claw language," said Lysander.

"Mortem, means the curse of death," Kennon stared at me with a sorrowful look. As if he was already picking the flowers for my funeral.