Seperation

Zarathustra
------------------------

"Arg! this is so boring!" Exclaimed Ostend.

It had been two week since I had woken up, and Xanthos and I had been moved to another cave, with the retuning Arroyo, and the new Ostend. That was something else I didn't know, why we were all here. Though Ostend had a good point, it was really boring in here. Ostend did nothing but pace back and forth as far as Xanthos' light would allow. Arroyo slept a lot, I think he might be coming down with something, he said he was fine so I didn't push it. Xanthos didn't really do anything, just sat in a meditative position and conserved his energy. I wasn't moving much either, but I was doing something. Between hunting the scarce rats, and trying to connect with my brother again. Ever since I managed that weak connection I had been trying really hard. Then I managed to get out some pictures to him, and I knew he was on his way. I had no idea when, or how, but he was definitely coming.

"I'm hungry," said Ostend.

That broke my concentration, and I looked up at him with a dry sarcastic face. "Aren't we all?"

"I mean I want food, can you go hunting again?" He looked at me with huge, pitiful eyes, Great Glamora fine.

"Follow me, I'll need your help carrying prey," I sigh.

I got up and padded out of our secure light circle. Behind me I could hear the younger claw whimpering.

"You want me to go there?" He shrieked.

"Yes, come on, it's perfectly safe," I said, not stopping.

He quickly decided and ran to catch up with me. I could feel as his pelt pressed against mine. Ostend gradually calmed down as nothing happened. I didn't blame the youngster for being afraid, it was creepy in here. But my hunger was stronger than my fear, and being the oldest, and the only one with hunting experience, the responsibility lay on my shoulders. Well technically I was seconded oldest, in claw years Xanthos was one hundred and thirty two. In Ghost years he was thirteen, but there wasn't much he could do right now.

There was a slight screech to my right, and I shot forward, my paws moving fluently outward. And I came in contact with something alive, with a quick nip at it's neck that was over.

"What was that?" squeaked Ostend.

"A rat, here, they're pretty big so just one more will do between the three of us," I said, pushing it toward him.

A couple more minutes and I had another one, and we headed back towards the light. Xanthos made a face at the dangling rodents.

"Ugh, I'll never understand how you can eat that," he shivered.

"Usually we don't but it's better than starving," I commented dryly.

I walked over to sleeping Arroyo, and shook his shoulder lightly. He groaned and stared at me with a confused, disappointed look.

"You're not Kennon, go away," he moaned.

"You need to eat, I think you're getting sick," I pushed the rat towards his head.

He rolled over away from me, I sighed and poked him again. Xanthos glanced at Arroyo curiously. Then scooted his way over next to us.

"I've seen this before, I think he has Moon Illness..." He trailed off, feeling Arroyo's forehead.

"Care to explain?" I asked.

"It's when Blood-claws pull out of their trance early. It's very unhealthy for them, I don't know why, but it leaves them exhausted and feverish for days afterward," he said.

"How do you know so much about Claws?" I inquired, surprised.

He blushed and twirled his fingers nervously. "Oh, I spent a great deal of time in each tribe... For, educational purposes of course."

"Is Arroyo going to be alright?" I questioned.

"Of course, I just wish I had some herbs," He said wistfully.

All of a sudden Xanthos curled in on himself clutching his head. A heavy sense of fear settled over me and my fur stood on end.

"What's going on?" Squeaked Ostend, he looked at me, his sweet brown eyes full of dread.

I barely heard him, Xanthos' glow had gotten dimmer, and he was shrinking. We were soon encased in darkness. I tried to stay calm when my breath came faster and faster. Screams were exchanged, and soon all I could hear was a pounding laughter. It consumed and filled everything. The large cavern didn't help the acoustics. I couldn't help but run, fear drove me onward. Nothing but blinding, painful fear. Anything to get away from the insane laughter. Suddenly the sharp, rough, ground disappeared below me, and I was falling.

My wings sprung outwards, I stopped falling for a few seconds. Then the exhaustion of malnourishment, and under exercise tumbled down on me. I found I was unable to pump my muscles hard enough. Down I fell, my heart thumped harder and faster. Any second I could slam into the ground. The possibility of my demise seemed so real now. Could this possibly be the end?

Then I hit the ground, pain laced through my side. I cried out in pain before shutting my eyes. The darkness overwhelmed my frightened brain. I was too weak to fight it, and I slipped into unconsciousness. With no knowledge that I would ever wake up again...