Chapter 1:He's Coming

"Harriet, did you hear that Jackson Avery is coming!" Avery Jones told me while handing me a cup of coffee from the cart outside. At this point in my life I only really went by Kepner. I didn't need people knowing who I was.

"He is?" I reply. He hadn't told me, so this was the first time I was hearing of this.

"Yea, they said that he has to talk to one of us interns. I've never met him, he's like my idol," we ran into my best friend Ellis,"Oh Ellis did you hear that Jackson Avery was coming ? Did y'all know that I was named after him and the foundation." We exchanged looks. Her and Leo were the only ones who knew that I was related to him.

"Leo..." Avery went and told Leo what she had probably told the entire Hospital by now.

"He didn't tell you? I wonder why."

"I don't know. But Jones said that he had to talk to one of us."

"Who do you think it is? It couldn't be you, me, or Leo cause he could just talk to us at home."

"Guys, why is he coming?" Leo came up behind us and joined into our conversation.  I was about to answer him that I didn't know. But, there was a lot of commotion. He was here. In a dark black suit as usual.

I hadn't talked to him in a couple weeks. Which is pretty unusual because I used to talk to him almost everyday. He looked my in the eye with a kind of half smile, but didn't say a word. He just kept walking towards the conference room. Avery was absolutely losing it, trying to keep it in but not doing a very good job. Just then Bailey, Ellis's brother, came down the stairs with one brow raised. I guess he didn't know my father was coming either.

"Patterson, you're with me." He looked at Mason, another kid in our class who was absolutely annoying, and waved him over. One of the residents came over to give us our assignment. I was with Sheridan. Dr. Sam Sheridan. He was cocky and mean and not one person liked him, and he liked nobody, well except for me. I basically grew up in this hospital. And my father is one of the best plastic surgeons in the country, so I've just always known how to suter, and how to do it well.

"Kepner, we are working with Woods today, he's got a girl with full thickness burns all over." Jack Woods is a plastic surgeon. The one you call when you're in really bad trouble. Mine and Sheridan's pagers beeped. It was Woods. 911.

"What happened?" Sheridan exclaimed as we walked into the patients room.

"She started coding about 45 minutes ago," he raised the paddles of the patient's chest."Kepner call it."

"Time of death-16:33" I replied confused. I already have death today and I don't even know the patient's name.

I looked at her chart, Alyssa Fine.