Chapter 7: Mistletoe

*3 years later*

"I am not the kind of girl who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion. But you are not the kind of boy who should be marrying the wrong girl....." Our song was playing on the radio again. I was sitting in my car, crying in the hospital parking lot. My life was no longer about trying to hide the fact that I'm an Avery anymore, that was common knowledge at this point. But instead it was about me trying to hide my feelings for my ex. Bailey broke up with me three weeks ago but I was still mourning my loss. He said that it was because if he was in a long term committed relationship with me he could never further his career and win a Catherine Fox award. Here we are, my family ruining my life once again.

"I stand up with shaky hands, all eyes on me. Horrified looks from everyone in the room but I'm only looking at you..." The song was still playing. It made me think back to the story of my parents' wedding. How my father stood up in front of everybody to confess his love. Just goes to show that even soulmates never last.

I wiped my tears and walked into the hospital. I saw Bailey smiling at the new cardio attending Sarah McKinley, he moved on fast. His smile was not as big or bright as I remembered it. There was no sparkle in his eye. I still wanted that fake smile to be smiling at me though.

I wanted to hurt Bailey the way he hurt me. I was able to convince Freddie Thomas to fake a smile at me, but something about his smile was genuine. Did he like me? Did Freddie Thomas like me?

To give you a backstory. Freddie Thomas was from Minnesota. His grandfather or great grandfather was a huge Cardio surgeon there. They say that he even dropped dead in an O.R. while operating on someone. Upon further investigation he was apparently operating with Ellis' mother's best friend, Cristina Yang when he died.

Getting back on track though, Freddie Thomas liked me, didn't he. I would usually find this flattering. I'm single, he's attractive and nice. But I don't want him. I want the love of my life. I want my soulmate. I wand Derek Bailey Grey-Shepherd.

"Freddie, come over here!"

"Hmh?"

"I know that I told you to smile at me to make Bailey jealous, but you have to stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you want me!"

"Oh, so you picked up on that..so?"

"So...gross, I don't want you. All that's gonna happen is that were going to fall for each other, and you going to end up hurt."

"Me? Why wouldn't you get hurt?

"Because I would only be dating you because you're there. So even if you ended things I wouldn't be hurt cause I never liked you in that way."

After a couple weeks I realized that Bailey and Sarah were now officially a thing. We had only been broken up for a month and he had already moved on.

I think that I forgot to mention that It was Christmas time. So all the lovey dovey couples were getting each other gifts and acting like they would last forever. And I mean every one. Ellis and Harry finally got together. Even Leo and Liam got together. Avery and Mason, cause they were totally in love, and Bailey had Sarah. Somebody decided that it would be a great idea to put up mistletoe, and of course Bailey and Sarah got 'caught' under it and had to kiss in front of me.

I decided that the best place for me to go to was my mom's house. I hadn't seen her in a while and all of my siblings were going to be there so i just thought it was the right thing to do.

Okay so I decided that Matthew and April had four kids together so that's who her siblings are.

When I got there I rang the doorbell my sister Ryann answered the door. They weren't expecting me so when she saw me she was really surprised. Dylann, Ryann's twin Brother and my best friend growing up, came over and hugged me. I don't know why he was acting like he hadn't seen me in five years because I had talked to him the day or two before, but that's just the kind of person he is, he loves..deeply. Then I had another brother. George. He was my mother and Step-father's favorite child. We all knew it, they didn't have to say anything, even though they both constantly denied it. My youngest sister, Dani, was the carbon copy of my mother. The way she looked, her mannerisms, everything. She was the forgotten child. She was always just there. That trauma though, definitely made her the funniest one. Then there was Ruby.Ruby was the perfect child. She was nice to everyone, so in return everyone was nice back. Except for me. We fought. A lot. But it was just fighting like any siblings would fight. Just a little elevated. We were step-sibling. So we would take each other's childhood trauma that we weren't a part of and use it against each other. Our parents hated this, but it was all in good fun. The twins and Ruby were all married with kids, so they were all running around. George had a fiance, and Dani was only 18 so she just had a boyfriend. But here I am, the oldest of six and the only single one. My older brother was still single, but he's also dead so I guess he gets a pass.

When my mother saw me, she immediately came and squeezed me. Like I said I haven't seen her in a while. I talked to her a lot over the phone, but it wasn't the same. My step-dad, who I call Tay-Tay but real name is Matthew, patted me on the back like I just won my school science fair-which I never did win, so I guess that was just to make up for what I never got. I don't know what I'm saying anymore either, don't worry.

I spent the day reminiscing with my family. Laughing and smiling and just having a good time. This was probably the first time I had smiled in months.

"Did your boyfriend finally break up with you?" Dylann was already annoying me.

"You just realized that?"

"That was your new record right? 3 months was it. Your longest relationship."

"3 years actually, I beat the old one by a long shot, making it hurt that much more."

After the night was over and I went home, I sat in my bed and cried. Everyone in my life was happy. Everyone but me.