Chapter 9: Fight For Me

"I-uhm, no"

I walked back into my house and closed the door in his face. I probably hurt his feelings, but he had hurt mine when he broke up with me so he could further his career, and now that he has he thinks that he can just act like it never happened. I ran up to my room. I wanted to sleep more now than I did before. But it was harder now than it was before. I looked at my phone. I had to call my brother. He was the one person who is 1) actually good at giving relationship advice and 2) has never had a completely failed relationship.

My father, like we've discussed, has never had a stable relationship in his life. My step-father was left on the altar. My mother had that messy break-up with my father. And the rest of my siblings were just, not great at relationships either. Except for Dylann. I texted him. "Should I go back to him." within thirty seconds my phone was ringing.

"First of all it is almost one o'clock in the morning. Second of all, spill the tea!"

"So ya know my ex, Bailey"

"Yes"

"Well the reason he broke up with me was because he wanted to be able to win a Catherine Fox award, and he obviously wouldn't be able to if he was dating her granddaughter. He won one today, or technically yesterday, and he just came up to my door playing our song on a radio above his head. And normally I wouldn't give my ex a second thought, ya know, you broke my heart I'm not going to go back to you. But he actually treated me really well, and why he broke up with me was completely valid and wasn't really anyone's fault, just how biology works."

"Okay that was a lot. But I think that if you really love this man, and he wasn't toxic like your men usually are, then make him work for it. He obviously loves you if he's gonna 'Say Anything' radio above his head. Even if you are going to eventually take him back, make sure he is worthy of your love."

"Alright, love you"

"Love you too, oh wait, what was the song, what's y'alls song?"

"Speak Now-Taylor Swift, Tanks Dyl, bye."

"Thats a good one, bye"

After speaking to my brother I had a better understanding of what I really wanted. I wanted Bailey, but maybe Dylann was right, maybe I'm too good for him. Oh who am I kidding. He is a hot shot orthopedic surgeon, Cathrine Fox winning surgeon, a big blood line. And I'm just a kid scared of her past. The question wasn't if I was too good for him, but if he's too good for me. Or maybe I just don't have any confidence and I should just take Dylann's advice. He has a wife and two children. He married his high school sweetheart.

It was about 4 am now and I still hadn't slept a wink. Leo and Ellis had just gotten home. They were being very loud, I put my pillow over my head trying to drown out the sound. It helped a little but I could still hear some of their conversation. I heard them talking about how they went on a double date but instead of it being a romantic evening they both got broken up with. I had to be up in an hour anyway so I just went downstairs to see what they were doing. They were both black-out drunk.

"Oh hey Harriet, did you hear that we are both miserable now." Leo was trying to speak but he was slurring his speech so much that it barely sounded like words at all.

I went and made some coffee and just went back upstairs. By the time my alarm went off, Leo and Ellis were both passed out on the couch and I hadn't slept at all. Why was I so angry? The one person I wanted to date my entire life was now pinning for me. I was thinking about what Dylann had said to me and I decided he was right, so when I went into work and saw Bailey I had to pull him aside and talk to him.

"Derek, I'm going to call you Derek because I am pissed at you. I love you. I do. I still do. But you walked away. You told me you wanted to be the best surgeon you could. And now that you are, now that you won, you think that you can just erase everything you said to me. Derek I love, in a really big, let you eat the last slice of cheesecake, pretend to like your taste in music, hold a radio above my head outside your window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you love you. But I love you so much that I can't just let you walk right back into my life. You need to prove to me that you deserve me." I walked away. I was crying by the end of my speech. I didn't even realize.

"So now you're quoting my mother to me huh?" He was saying it under his breath thinking I couldn't hear him but I could. I smiled, smirked. I wanted him so badly, but everything I just said contradicted that. But as I walked away I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck, I could basically see his smile. He was going to fight for me.

Days and weeks went by and he did just that. He fought. I kept calling Dylann, asking if it had been long enough, wondering if I could take him back yet. But he kept saying no. Until now, I was no longer listening to him. I was ready to love him again. I knew that he deserved me.

I went to his house and threw rocks at his window. He opened it and saw me, holding a radio above my head playing our song outside his window.