Chapter 5: Nostalgia

I decided that I couldn't go home that night, but I couldn't stay in the hospital. I thought that the only place that I could go, the only person that I could talk to was my dad. I drove to his apartment building. Went through the lobby and said hi to Greg, he was the guy at the front desk the same one sense I was a kid. Got on the elevator and pushed the 12th floor button. When I hopped off. I found his house. Room 605.

I knocked on his door. Five times. When he opened the door I just went in and cried on his couch. After yelling at him earlier I felt really bad, but I also knew that he didn't take it personally.

"I'm sorry."

"I know, your room's still there if you're gonna stay the night." My father knew me. He knew that I didn't like talking about my feelings, he knew that the best thing for me was to just sleep it off and revisit it in the morning. I climbed up the stairwell and found my room. It was still decorated the way I left it.The white walls, the One Direction posters. My photos and stuffed animals. All of it, none of it had moved. I turned my phone off. I shut it down completely. I just needed to sleep . I wanted no distractions keeping me awake.

The next morning I called in sick. I woke up in my childhood bedroom with some kind of feeling that told me I need to take a day and just be with my dad. I looked at my phone and saw that I had 13 missed calls from Bailey. I just dismissed them. Like I said my father was the only person I wanted to talk to that day.

When I went down stairs, I found my father sitting on the couch with is coffee. He had something on the T.V. but wasn't paying attention to it, he was on his phone.

"How'd you sleep?" I just shrugged my shoulders. The bed was as hard as a rock. I don't know how I slept on it for a decade of my life.

"What's for breakfast?"

"I ordered some waffles."He smirked at me, waffles were the only thing I ate when I was younger. "So, are we gonna talk?"

"About..?"

"About what happened yesterday. In the conference room. When you yelled at me."

"Okay first of all I wasn't yelling at you. I just needed to scream and you were there. You were also the only I was able to say that stuff to, other than mama."

"I know, you okay now though?"

"Somewhat, I'll get there."

"I know, I got something for you." He went to grab something but the doorbell rang and he went to get that instead. It was the waffles.

"You hungry?" I grabbed a plate and some waffles and sat down at the table to eat with him.

"So, you said you got me something."

"Ah you did hear me." He smirked at me. He pulled out a white coat. I looked at it. 'Dr. Harriet Kepner Avery'

"Now I know you don't want people knowing who you are, I did the same, but after what happened in the hallway the other day, I thought that this would be the best way to do it. No announcement, just."

"Thank you." He winked at me and nodded

"Are you going into work today?"

"No, I can't face them, not yet."

"Well, it's a good thing you say that because I have many movies lined up."

"Oh" we sat on the couch and watched a lot of movies. We sat there for hours. Until we both fell asleep on the couch.

We were woken up at 9 by Bailey calling me. I answered it.

"What."

"Where have you been. You didn't come into work yesterday and you're late today."

"I'm at my dad's house, we fell asleep late last night."

"You're working with me and Sheridan today and he is pissed. I can come get you if you need me to."

"Uh,yea can you please." I scrambled to get all of my stuff, making sure I grabbed the coat my father got for me. I ran down stairs thinking it would be faster than the elevator. Apparently it was the same amount on time and just made me tired. When I walked out the door of the lobby, Bailey was already there. I got into his car and turned the radio on. The song that started playing was Speak Now-Taylor Swift. We exchanged a look. Thinking back to that moment we shared the day before.