Chapter 6: Butterflies

I changed into some scrubs and ran to find Sheridan and Bailey in our patients room. Bailey looked at my new coat and smiled. That kind of smile that makes you want to shrivel up and die because you know that that smile isn't smiling at you, but he was, he was smiling at me. He saw my coat and was happy, happy that I was no longer hiding. I wanted to say 'i love you' right then and there.

"Jordan we got your tests back and it says that you have an infection and we have to go up to the O.R. right away. Dr. Sheridan here is going to be in to help close the muscle. Okay?" The girl on the bed nodded. She was young. Maybe five or six.

After we wheeled her up into the O.R. and scrubbed Sheridan was just looking at us weirdly.

"I can see the butterflies floating around you two. Did y'all do it?''

"I-I uhm, no.." Bailey was trying his hardest to cover it up. I looked at him, trying to get him to shut up.

"Well I'm done here." Sheridan threw his towel down onto the patient and walked out of the room.

"What was I supposed to say? 'Yes we have, do you want to hear about it' I did the best I could, I didn't hear you covering us up!"

"You already did the worst you could, anything I could have said after that would have just sounded guilty."

"Fair enough." We were laughing and smiling when we walked out of the scrub room and ran into Leo and Ellis. They both knew how I felt about Bailey, so if they saw me talking to him the way I was they would 100% know that something was up. We quickly moved away from each other and he made up some lie.

"I will let you know how it goes Dr.Kepner"

"Yea" He walked away and Leo and Ellis looked at me.

"Are y'all a thing now, god please tell me you are. I've been shipping 'Hailey' for so long now. Make my fantasies come true."

"LEO! Wait but are y'all finally together."

"No! He was just there for me at a really hard time and..." I shrugged. I couldn't come up with a lie fast enough.

"Okay, if you are not gonna spill...let's talk about that jacket!" Ellis noticed the Avery written across my chest.

"I decided it was finally time to come clean."

"Thank god, cause the amount of time I wanted to blurt your name is-is too high to count." Leo made another one of his stupid jokes and we all went home.

*At their house*

"Can you PLEASE tell us what is going on with you and Bailey. Is my girl finally living her 5 year-old selves dream?" Leo was getting straight to the hard hitting questions.

"FIVE?"

"You didn't know that she has wanted your brother for like twenty years?'

"Alright, so basically one my brother's birthday I went to call my mother but couldn't and instead broke down. He walked in on me crying. We shared this really sweet moment where we were just staring into each other's eyes and then-and then he kissed me."

"That's it?"

"I told Sofia that it happened, and he got mad at me so we didn't talk for a couple days, but he still slept with me, probably just trying to bottle up his feelings."

"Hold on you told Sofia, before you told us?!"

"Yes, anyways, the other day, maybe a few weeks after we fought, the same day all the drama happened with my dad. He just picked me up and hugged me, it was just a really happy moment. But then in the O.R. today, we were working with Sheridan and he kinda figured it out, I think he was half joking but when Bailey completely blew it trying to lie I think he 100% knew there was something going on between us."

"Harriet Sloan Kepner Avery! You are a lot more fun than I thought you were." Ellis was calling me out by my full name, including my middle name which people rarely used when talking to me.

We sat up all night talking about nothing. Just drinking and having a good time. Ellis told us all about her feelings for Harry James, and Leo confessed that he had feelings for LIAM MILLER the Ortho attending. It was the best night I had had in awhile.

The next morning at work I ran into my dad. He was the one who could give me the advice I needed.

"Oh, hey. I need to ask you a 'hypothetical' question.''

"Okay...shoot." He answered me sceptically

"So say, hypothetically, I was falling for this guy, who I really shouldn't be falling for. Like lost jobs and big time lectures. Like Miranda Bailey level lectures. Hypothetically?"

"Hypothetically, I would tell you one thing. If you love someone you tell them. Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing. Even if you're scared it will cause problems. Even if you're scared it will burn your life to the ground. You say it , and you say it loud. And then you go from there." He recited the quote he had been jamming into my brain since I was five years old. He had apparently heard it from his mentor before he died or something.

"Yes I know 'if you love someone you tell them' blah blah blah, hypothetically, but seriously?"

"Who is it?"

"That would defeat the purpose of having this 'hypothetical' conversation."

"Right, well I say, just talk to him. Find out what he wants to do. Okay"

"Kay."

I ran around the entire hospital trying to find Bailey to tell him how I really felt. I found him updating one of his patients charts at the nurses station. When he saw me I took his hand and brought him into one of the supply closets so we could talk in private.

What is it?"

"I was talking to my dad earlier,"

"Okay?"

"He told me to tell the person that I love how I really felt."

"Okay?"

I looked him in the eyes, my heart was beating out of my chest.

"Dr. Bailey Grey-Shepherd, I am in love with you."

His eyes met mine.

"Dr. Harriet Kepner Avery, I am in love with you too."