Chapter 2: 11 p.m

As I was walking out of Alyssa's room, my phone rang. It was my dad, he wanted to talk to me. I debated on whether or not I should go, but ultimately decided that I should.

When I got to the conference room, I just stood behind the door for a while. I finally knocked. Five times, the way I had been doing since I was a baby, so that he knew it was me. He opened the door and nodded his head through the doorway, telling me to come in. I should probably mention that today is my brother's birthday. He's dead. Been dead since before I was born. This was always a hard day for my parents.

"Have you talked to your mother yet today?" He began after a couple seconds of silence. I shook my head, not wanting to say anything. We just kind of sat there for a while. After maybe 10 minutes, my pager went off, Sheridan. I jumped at the noise, it had been quite in that room for a while. I left.

When I walked out of the room I saw the rest of my class. Ellis, Leo, Avery, Mason, and Freddie Thomas. Avery, Mason, and Freddie were waiting for me to say something.

"Well, what is he like? Is he amazing, I bet he is amazing."Avery started. My ears started ringing a little, my face got really hot and probably really red, my eyes started watering and I walked away. I had to pull myself together. I was still at work and I was still with Sheridan, who would probably yell at me if he saw me in this state. After I walked away Leo and Ellis just looked at each other. They both knew what today was and probably knew what we were talking about in there, or not talking about I should say.

I hoped of the elevator and found Sheridan and Olivia Perry, the Trauma attending on call, talking in the pit.

'Nice of you to finally join us Kepner." Perry started talking to me."We've got a trauma on it's way. Apartment fire. Lots of burn victims. We're running it. Or you are."

Me. I was running a trauma. By myself. My mother was a great trauma surgeon, but I never had any interest in it. It's fast, and difficult and not something I never ever wanted to do. So this day wasn't going to be fun for me. I would have to see hundreds of patients every hour. Telling people where everyone was going and where everyone was. I had to keep track of the O.R.s and the patient beds, the trauma rooms and the ambulance bay. All me. All by myself.

I heard the first sirens and knew it was finally time to snap into game mode. I attended to each of the ambulances, and sent the victims to each of their perspective trauma rooms and beds. The day actually went by kind of fast. It wasn't until hours later that I actually checked my watch to see what time it was 11pm. The ambulances stopped coming. All of the victims were either stable, in surgery, or dead and things finally started to calm down. I walked over to one of the on call rooms to lay down.

As I was laying down I thought back to the conversation I had with my father earlier in the day, or lack thereof. I decided he was right and that I should probably call my mother. I took out my phone and scrolled through the contacts. I found her name 'momma' but I couldn't bring myself to click the call button. I thought it might be easier if I called my step dad, that way I could still talk to her. It would just be a little easier, I wasn't sure why though. I scrolled a little farther down and found 'Tay-Tay', that's what I called him, back when I couldn't pronounce Matthew. I clicked the buttons and let it ring a few times before I hung up. I couldn't do it. Tears started streaming down my face when I heard a knock on the door.

"Yea?" I tried to say while my voice was breaking. Bailey walked in. I have had a crush on him since I was 13, and still do. He was just so perfect. He was hot and respectful, and just...perfect.

"You okay?" he asked me while he sat down next to me.

"Yea, i'm..i'm fine, I think" I chuckled making it sound like a joke even though I was being serious. I think I'm okay. I'm crying over somebody who died before I was born.

"Today's-right?" He didn't want to say it. He didn't want to make me more upset than I already was. He was being nice. I loved him.

I nodded my head, filling the room with awkwardness. We sat like that for a while. Just looking into each other's eyes. There was a sparkle in his. The one somebody gets when they truly love someone. It couldn't be though. He is Bailey Grey-Shepherd. He's untouchable. He's surgical royalty. And he was looking at me like he loved me.

He held my chin in his hands. Rested his forehead on mine. We locked eyes. And he kissed me.