A roach and a recognition

His Azure locks fell low past his shoulders as the vibration of his guitar strings resonated through the speaker in the corner of Larry's room. A deep pressure sat on the tip of Larry's tongue, a tugging at his mind. He watched Sal practice Nirvana songs on a red electric as the Super Gear Boy™ sat between his hands. The cold plastic felt so distant to his touch.

    "Come as you are, doused in mud, soaked in bleach as I wanted you to be..." Larry hummed along with the fumbled tune. Sally cracked a smile under the humid prosthesis as he plucked the chords with his calloused grey fingers. The game console and paranormal device hit the green carpet as Larry got up to roll a cigar of green.

   "Hey Larbear, wanna hold off, I'm having some trouble breathing." The voice was muffled under the suffocating mask as the melody ceased.

   Larry tinted a mild pink. He felt a tinge of embarrassment and yearning every time Sal called him by his mothers nickname. Squatting in front of his friend he unbuckled the prosthetic and it fell into his hands. The dank air felt warm against the smaller boy's skin. He took a deep relieving breath and the smell of sativa filled his lungs.

   "You know you can take that off around me Sally face. It's not like I'm ash or anything.." Larry feigned a chuckle. Sal took special care to never show his face around the girl in the purple shirt, and Larry saw easily why. It was so obvious to him that his friend was interested in her.
Ashley Campbell was always aloof and kind, as well as tall and delicate.  He sparked a lighter and decided to finish a prerolled roach to soothe the edge of anxiety he always felt at the thought of Ashley. Her brown hair was smoothed and smelled of baby shampoo, contrasting his own oily tangle. Her eyes were a vibrant green and noted a subtle optimism he wished he had. He hated the idea of Sal Fisher starting a relationship with her.

   Before Sally showed up he paid these traits in her no mind. Though his view of her was so adoring and positive it held underlying resentment every time Sal grew closer to her. Through so much confliction over these feelings he concluded he must have feelings for her, though he never felt an urge to grow closer to her in that way. A fog of mild high filled the air and clouded his thoughts.

   "You know, I think I've got this song down." One blue eye glinted pridefully at Johnson.

   "Yeah, you've been getting better," Larry paused taking a drag off the blunt, "Your voice is more enjoyable."

   "Larry Face lay off, I think you've smoked enough."

    His statuesque form halted as he realized what be had said, shaking his head in confusion.

  "Yeah. You're right." He sat down and looked at the carpet. If given the choice between being alone with Ashley or Sally his choice would veer blue. A wave of dread and realization spread over his mind.