Muddy Tires (part two)

"Weathers nice, I wasn't expecting it to be so sunny." Sal murmured as he and Larry set up pillows, linen, and quilts in the truckbed.

     "Uh huh, but once we get on the gravel it'll be bumpy and windy, so enjoy it while it lasts." He extended his arms to open the back window, so that everyone could chatter about.

     "You want the cooler against the tailgate, right?" Todd affirmed, the rattle of ice and cans bellowing through the quiet atmosphere. The air was crisp and warm, with a gentle breeze whipping the grass about. Maybe Ashley was right, Sal thought. The air was fragrant with the scent of oncoming spring. As the group finished loading the last of their supplies in the backseat and trunk, all piled into the truck at the gentle hum of the engine.
Neil sat firmly into the drivers seat, Todd at his side, and chug and maple occupying the backseat. Sally, Ashley, and Larry nestled comfortably into the truckbed.

     Sal reached back and unbuckled his mask, seizing the opportunity to feel the wind in his face and hair as he put his rubber bands on his wrist. All hooted and hollered, ready for a lovely retreat. Larry ran his hands over the fabric of the comforters overtop the rusted metal beneath, already feeling drowsy.

     "You craving a nap, blanket troll?" Sal nudged Larry with his elbow.

     "Well, only if you'll cuddle with me, Sally Face. I couldn't POSSIBLY sleep like this without your arms around me." Larry croaked, already rolling a logger. Sal shifted his eyes, praying nobody could clock his growing embarrassment.  Chugs hand reaching through the window, motioning for snacks and cutting short his thoughts.

     As the sky grew shady, the truck dulled to a stop, and the three teenagers emerged from the trunk and began pitching their tent while handing drinks back and forth. Sal politely declined his share if the brew, waiting for the rest if the friends to crawl from the vehicle so they could all perch on the tailgate. It had gotten darker by the time the tent was ready. Before Larry brought out the weed, they all worked together to set up lights and tinder for a fire. The sound of footfall on gravel was soothing, and when all the blankets were finally out and the fire lit, everyone was ready to mingle and enjoy their night.

     "Who's up for some campfire snacks and brewskis?" Larry jeered, the crackling fire illuminating his features. Ash howled her approval, followed by Sally and Chug. Larry nodded, a toothy grin easing across his cheeks. He reached in the cooler and passed around Marshmellows and IPA's.

     Sally looked intently at Larry as he slowly skewered the back end of his marshmallow, but before he could complete his dirty joke the engine came to a roar and the truck jolted forward, kicking up mud and gravel on all who fell from the tailgate. A booming laugh came from the drivers seat as Ash bounded from the inside, satisfied with disrupting the peace. The shouts of malcontent teens filled the air as a half drunk Larry crouched in front of sal. His prosthetic had clammered to the Rocky ground, chipping at a crack.

     "Sal, your mask. It's all fucked." Larry swore as he wiped the mud from it's edges, turning next to the young man in front of him, "and it's all in your hair too."
He slurred as he slowly pulled at the smaller boys pig tails, loosening the ties.
"Don't worry bud. I'll get it out for you."

     "Oh... Uhm that's fine Larry. You don't need to-" he stammered as his fingers glided through his blue rug of tangles. Larry looked like an angel under the firelight, but it wasn't long he got to observe it. The feeling of stubble against his chin completely overtook his senses. Larry embraced his lips while wiping the grime from his cheeks,  leaning against the Muddy tire.