Chapter 6

N/n means nickname

H/c means hair colour

E/c means eye colour

Y/n POV:

As I approach the front door of the apartment, I pat down my pockets, trying to find which pocket I put the keys in. When I felt the faint outline of the keys in my back pocket, I let out a sigh of relief.

'If I lost the key, Mom would kill me,' I quickly think, shivering at the idea.

I place the key in the hole and turn it, unlocking the door with a loud click. I push open the door and walk through, entering a very dark hallway. Quickly, I take off my shoes and throw them into the closet, not bothering to turn on the light. As I walk down the hall, leading to the living room, I deeply breathe in, enjoying the air of our apartment much more than the schools. Once I walk into the living room, I flop onto the couch face first, burying my head into the cushions.

"Ughhhh...why is school soooo hard? And why do they give us homework? Was the 7-hours at school not enough?" I groan into the pillows, slightly muffled.

I turn my head to face the kitchen, looking at the clock on the microwave. It read 3:43 pm.

'Mom should come home in about a half-an-hour. I think we are just having left-overs tonight. Imma eat now since I skipped lunch,' I quickly think before forcefully falling off the couch, knowing if I stayed laying any longer I'd fall asleep.

'And we wouldn't want that, would we?' I internally monologue while standing up and groggily walking over to the fridge. 

As I open the door, nothing catches my eye, so I close it immediately. Waiting a few seconds, I stand in front of the fridge, hoping when I re-opened the door, new food would magically appear. It hasn't happened yet, but I still believe in the fridge fairy. When I re-open the door, my eyes quickly scan inside, seeing if the fairy made her appearance. Much to my disappointment, she didn't, but the leftover chow mein and ginger beef with vegetables sounded good.

I place both food items on a plate and put the dish in the microwave. I quickly press the quick-minute button twice, causing the timer on the microwave to read 2:00. Pressing the start button, I walk over to the fridge, taking out a can of pop. Reaching down towards the cupboard, I pull it out and grab a fork. At the dining table, I place down my utensil and drink next to a large cork coaster, and look over at the timer. In bright, red numbers, it read 0:56.

'56 seconds left. What can I do in 56 seconds? Oh, I'll see how long it takes me to walk to and from the front door,'  I think before moving my legs, leading me towards the door. Once I reach it, I pause for a second, then turn around, heading back towards the kitchen. As I reach it, I notice the timer now reads 0:36.

"So it takes 20 seconds to walk there and back, huh? When I do it next time, I'll try not to pause at the door, I might even count my steps" I say formulating a plan for the future. It's not surprising that this is not the first time I've done something like this while waiting for the microwave. Last time, I figured out it takes from 13-16 steps to walk to and from my room, starting in the kitchen. What can I say, I get bored easily.

 I hear the loud beeping coming from the microwave, interrupting my train of thought and alerting me that my food is done. I walked over, opened the door and reached for my plate, careful not to burn myself on the hot porcelain. I quickly grab the plate and speed walk over to the table, placing it down on the cork coaster. I sit down in the chair, pick up my fork and stab it into a piece of beef. I gently blow on it, not wanting to deal with a burnt tongue. As I place the beef in my mouth, I hear the lock being turned, informing me that my mother was home. I don't turn to look at her, more interested in the food in front of me.