Chapter 15

Y/n POV:

" Morning," I hear Uenoyama say as he walks into the classroom. Past him, I can see Mafuyu peering into our classroom with an adorable smile on. I quickly waved at him and he waves back, keeping the puppy smile on. "You can come to band practice today if you want," Uenoyama tells me as he sits down and Mafuyu leaves for his class.

"Why? I mean, I know I'm a ray of sunshine to be around, but why?" I ask sarcastically, which Uenoyama ignores.

"You play, right?" he asks while pointing to the snare under my desk.

"I just started on Saturday, but I guess I play," I respond, remembering I'm such a newbie that I just started hitting my snare and using my drumsticks.

"Saturday!?" Uenoyama repeated back, making me a bit annoyed.

"Yeah, got a problem?" I ask aggressively, not pleased that I have to deal with Uenoyama looking down on me for being a newbie.

"Do you even know what you're doing?!" he exclaims, catching people's attention, as they start gathering around both of our desks. My breathing begins to pick up as my nervousness grows every passing second. Even if I had been meeting new people for the past two weeks, it was only a few people. As much I hate it, I sorta trust those three people and didn't feel like I have to think about everything I do. However, at school, it's like everyone turns on a judgement switch in their heads and if you don't do everything right, you must be weird or strange.

"P-please keep your voice down," I whisper to Uenoyama, hoping the bell would ring soon. He looks at me confused but then notices the pairs of eyes looking directly at us. One pair of eyes feel familiar as they gaze into the back of my head. I feel tempted to turn around and find out who was staring, but I feel frozen in my seat.

"Whatever, are you coming or not?" Uenoyama asks me, shaking off the intense pair of eyes as they move to him instead. I let out a breath of relief as I feel my heartbeat begin to slow down.

"Yeah, would you mind if I just practice the beat of some songs, I promise I won't be loud," I ask, slightly hoping to get some tips from Kaji and Haruki about adding and continuing to keep the beat.

"Yeah. Just don't get in the way," he said before turning to the front of the room.

'Me? Get in the way? Never!' I think as class begins.

-------

I feel a rumbling under my feet as I slightly jerk forward. Usually, I'm lucky enough to take the train when no one else is on it, but I guess taking a more popular train right after school means it gets fuller faster. My body slightly sways, but I'm careful not to hit Uenoyama, who is on my left.

"They said it's fine for you to play, too, as long as it's during breaks," Uenoyama says to Mafuyu, who is standing to his left.

"Really?" Mafuyu voices for both of us. Based on Uenoyama's reaction earlier, I doubt he will want to hear my play, even if I'm starting to get good, or as good as I can with having no tutor.

"Yeah. So make sure you both say thank you," Uenoyama responds, making me question his words.

'Will they allow me to play too or is it just Mafuyu? If their reactions are anything like Uenoyama's, I can kiss that hope goodbye.'

"Okay. Thank you," Mafuyu thanks Uenoyama, not knowing Uenoyama wasn't talking about himself.

"Not to me," Uenoyama tells Mafuyu, asking us to thank the older bandmates.

"The guy with the long hair," Mafuyu starts, not knowing the names of the older players, probably wanting to know more about them.

"Haruki-san?" Uenoyama answers for Mafuyu before he continues.