Chapter 30

'Words without italics' mean mouthed words

*Underline* means English

Long Chapter 

Y/n POV:

'Now I remember why I forgot this dude,' I think as I stare at the man sitting in my father's old spot. As soon as I see him slightly turn his head in my direction, I look down at the table, trying my best not to get caught. 'He's a complete asshole,' I frown as the older Murata continues his incredibly boring story.

"And I had to tell him that the treaty would be beneficial to both our countries when it would only truly benefit Japan. How much of an idiot do you have to be to believe crap like that?" Murata complains to Hiroshi, Ugesta and me, while my mother was quietly finishing supper.

Looking across the table, I carefully watch Ugesta's facial expressions as his father rambles on. From one perspective, he was intently listening while occasionally nodding along with what his father was saying. However, when I took a closer look, I could immediately tell he was putting up a facade. It was hard to tell, but I guessed Ugetsa was trying to hide the fact that he was annoyed, frustrated, and agitated. He was probably only moving his head so the older Murata would think he was paying attention.

'He looks so uncomfortable. Why is he even here? It's clear he doesn't want to,' I think as the memory of Ugesta trying to walk to the staircase comes to my mind. 'I guess he did try to leave earlier. But if he knew it was this bad, why didn't he just go? No kaiseki is worth this torture,' I question in my mind as I look back down at the table. 'Why?' I ponder as my mother starts to hand out the dishes of food.

"Here you are, Minoru. Please enjoy it, I've worked very hard to prepare it," my mother says as she places a plate in front of Murata. She hands the other to Hiroshi, who was sitting to the annoying man's left. It seemed she was travelling around the table clockwise, so she would soon hand me a plate, followed by Ugesta, while she served herself last.

"Thank you," Hiroshi kindly thanked her, making a small smile come to my mother's face. Murata said nothing as she went back into the kitchen to grab two more plates. I subtly start to glare at the older man, starting to get upset that this man was acting like a spoiled child. My mother quietly places my food in front of me before walking over to Ugetsa and placing his plate in front of him.

"Thank you," Ugetsa and I say at the same time, as we both widen our eyes in surprise. My mother only nods in response and walks back to the kitchen to grab her food. Feeling something off, I look towards Murata, expecting him to do something else that was disrespectful. My face drops as I watch him start to eat without the rest of us.

I try to hide my disgusted face by staring at the food in front of me. Like traditional kaiseki would be served, I saw the delicious-looking miso soup sitting on the corner of the plate. My mother had chosen to serve us sakizuke as an appetizer, hassun as the second course, sashimi, yakimono, and mizumono as dessert. It was obvious my mother had worked hard on this food and it made me even more upset that our guest wasn't going to thank her.

Feeling a light kick on my shin, I look up at Ugesta as I slightly tilt my head in confusion. He quietly mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' as he gives his father the side-eye. 'I'm sorry too,' I mouth back as my mother takes the seat to my left. As soon as I see her start to eat, I slowly dig into my food, soon followed by Ugesta and Hiroshi.

Savouring the extraordinary flavour, memories start to flood back to me of my father's practice sessions with this pig of a man.