32. aye aye captain

After shedding our suits in the cargo hold, the group of us made our way onto the unknown ship. Evident hesitation was behind all of our moves, we had no idea what we were walking into.

As I followed Bellamy into the airlock, the sound of a distant alarm could be heard. Our docking had clearly set off some alert system.

"Come on, we've got to move fast!" Bellamy called, tentatively out toward the ship.

Echo stopped beside him, pulling her sword from the sheath to which Bellamy shot her a disapproving look.

"We don't know what we're walking into." She maintained, and honestly I couldn't argue with her.

Bellamy let out a sigh before hitting the button that sent the airlock doors sliding open. Here we go.

The minute the doors were opened, the sound of the blaring alarm got louder, causing me to wince.

"Well, that's just annoying." Murphy muttered, arriving at my side.

Harper looked out into the corridors. "If someone was here, they'd shut it off, right?"

"One can hope." I muttered, switching on my flashlight and stepping out of the airlock.

My eyes scanned the hallways, looking for any sign of danger as Raven instructed Emori to stay back in the ship and check for any damage.

I heard Murphy offer to stay back and help, to which Bellamy decided that Harper could be the one to remain. I think we all suspected that Emori and Murphy might kill each other if we left them alone.

"I can stay back." I offered, knowing that I could be of more help to Emori.

Bellamy glanced over at me. "No. We need you."

I let out a frustrated sigh as I rolled my eyes. "Sure, you do."

"Come on." Murphy muttered, grabbing my arm and pulling me along with him. "We don't need any domestic fights today."

I snorted. "You're one to talk."

He sent me a quick glare as we joined up with the rest of the group who were slowly making their way through the hallways.

"This place is like a maze." Bellamy whispered, his flashlight scanning the corridors.

As he shone it upward, it illuminated a large sign, words spelled out in huge yellow letters.

'NO INMATES PAST THIS POINT'

"Inmates?" Echo wondered.

Monty stopped next to Bellamy. "Prison labour." he explained. "The mining missions were dangerous. They sent people they thought were disposable."

"Sounds familiar." Murphy muttered.

"Great." I mocked. "So we're on a prison ship."

"Relax." Raven ordered. "Their ancestors were prisoners a hundred years ago. Their descendants on that transport ship are survivors, just like us."

I bit down on my lip, still feeling uneasy about this whole situation. Nonetheless, I followed as we approached the next set of doors.

"The bridge is this way." Raven declared. '"Come on."

Murphy and I shared a nervous look as we continued on. Not moments after our revelation that this ship once carried prisoners, we came across a large hole that seems to have been blown into the wall.

"Looks like someone forgot their key." Raven joked, not hesitating before stepping through.

"Jackpot!" she beamed as we finally located the bridge.