The Story

Luisa

Luisa snuck into her house before dawn and the moment she touched the bed, she fell into a deep slumber.

"Hello Bella," her mother's soft voice spoke and her eyes fluttered open to the Polaris laboratory. "Hi." She flipped onto her back and her head rested on her laps as she slowly stroked her hair.

"The history book," Becca said. "Do you like it?" she asked. "Yes, but you've missed something. After I went to the ground, more things happened." "Like what?"

"No," someone denied and she rose. "Reese," Becca said dryly. "You shouldn't tell her," he said. "There's no reason to. It's not that important to add to the history book." "But it does include the history of the Flamekeeper and the start of the Commanders," she told him.

"Tell me," Luisa said. "Tell me the story." Reese groaned, rolling his eyes, and sat on a stool, motioning for Becca to start. "Close your eyes, Bella," she whispered, laying her back down. She felt her cold hand slip behind her neck and she began, "Once upon a time..."

Seven Months After The Missiles

"I'm here to help!" the familiar voice cried out. "I'm here to help!" Landing in the middle of destruction, Luisa could see her mother without a helmet of a hazmat suit, breathing in the toxic air of the simmering radiation.

In the distance, she spotted eight figures that grew clear from the clouds approach her and in one glass, she saw Reese. The group helped her into the Second Dawn Bunker and with them, she followed.

Most of them were confused as to why she was able to breathe above ground but she tried her best to simplify the explanation.

"Dr. Becca Franco," a girl greeted. "Calliope Cadogan, you can call me Callie." The two shook hands and Becca walked beside her down the concrete hallways.

"I've heard some much about you," Callie said, trying to keep her excitement from splattering. "Likewise," Becca told her. "But most of your father."

They paused when they heard coughing and rushed over to one of the cultists who went with them to scavenge above ground.

"He's been exposed to the radiation," Becca said, checking his eyes. "I'm gonna get medical," Callie told her but she shook her head. Setting down the case in her hand, Becca pulled her hair to the side and opened it to reveal the vials of the genetic alteration serum and injected him.

Luisa caught Callie staring at the back of her neck and stepped closer to see the fresh stitches from implanting the AI. A few of the boy's friends stopped by and ended up taking him to the medical room, allowing Callie to continue leading her down the hallway.

Opening the door, the two entered Cadogan's quarters where a golden orb was being tested. Callie finally got his attention and they were introduced; Bill and Reese.

"What's that sound?" Becca asked, confusedly looking around. "What?" Bill questioned. "What do you here?"
"Ultrasonic frequencies," she said. "It's like notes to a song."

They all watched in awe as she twirled the stone around, clicking the symbols that decorated it. She touched about seven and when she touched the last one, she sighed, "That's better."

A rumbling filled the room and the stone detached from the stand and floated on its own before opening a green light. They stared at the portal when Bill wanted to enter but Becca stopped him.

"We don't know if the other side is habitable," she said. He reluctantly agreed, stepping back and the doorway closed. "In the meantime, we can distribute the serum and we can live on the ground."