Silence

Luisa

Luisa barged into the medical center where Jackson and Abby looked at her as she plopped on an empty gurney.

"Is there such thing as an AI enhancing ultrasonic frequencies?" she asked. "That's a specific question," Jackson stated, coming over. "Like what?"

She pursed her lips and imitated an airy whistle into his ears. When she pulled back, she pressed her forehead and closed her eyes to reopen them.

"Is it giving you a headache?" he asked, shining a light in her eyes. "No, just the annoyance," she said. "If it gets any worse, come back," he assured her and she nodded, leaving the center.

Stumbling into the throne room, she sat down at the piano to play light notes to overlap the chime as she waited for the class to enter.

"Heda," Gaia called out and her fingers stopped. She closed the piano and turned to see the novitiates walk in a line and she moved to her throne.

"Please, sit," she instructed and watched the Flamekeeper leave. "When you are given the Flame, you receive the guidance of the Spirit of the Commanders. You get to choose what you do with the information."

She took a long pause and saw their interested eyes for her to continue. "Gaia," she said aloud and the Flamekeeper walked in to take them out.

"That was a short lesson," she faintly smiled. "You were right," Luisa admitted. "I should've done the separation ceremony." "I-is Sheidheda trying to take over?" "As I said, he bowed. There's something different but it's too late now," she told her.

Waving a hand, the Flamekeeper was dismissed. She leaned her head back knowing if she were to remove the Flame, the code would still be left in her mind and her novitiates wouldn't be able to withstand the sound.

The stone was supposedly shut down but with the information from the story, she could hear it. It sounded like a heavy wind mixed with the chirps of a dying bird.

She stood and went to the whiteboard where the Table of the Commanders was drawn. Clipping on the sketch of her burning mother and Reese and Calliope, she leaned onto the table and sighed.

"Mom?" a voice cracked. Her head snapped and everything went silent as all of her attention was directed at Madi.

"Hi Sweet Kane," she smiled, going over to her. She cupped her cheeks and stroked her hair, laying her chin on her head. "Yu bilaik ai sinchon" (you are my anchor) she whispered.

"And dad?" Madi asked. "Yes, he's been keeping me down for the longest," she smiled. "Now, natblida, go have fun."

She pulled back and watched Madi slowly step away before turning for the doorway. Once her essence disappeared, the silence had been disrupted by the faint chime.

She shifted and walked quickly to the piano and sat down, playing deep notes to match her emotions. They were chaotic. Notes later, she strung a hard one and sighed, standing up again and as she was leaving the throne room, she glanced at the board before stepping out.

Veering past the villagers, she made her way across the common ground to the mechanical bay. She went for the back where Raven's corner but spotted her teaching an apprentice.

"Just give us a minute," Raven muttered and they walked away. "What's up?" "You're the only one who won't think I'm crazy or try to tell me it's the spirits and you have the experience," she rambled. "You tried to overwork your brain from the chip in your head, how'd you do it?"

"Wh-wait. Unlike me, you have control and you can remove it without an EMP without any damage. Why would you need to overwork the Flame?" Raven questioned. "Well since you're a realist, I'll just tell you," she sighed. "Come with me."