The Book

Luisa

Luisa awoke to cold hands brushing her hair and looked up to see Madi hovering above her. She finally felt her legs underneath her head and irritatedly lifted, covering her hands from the sun.

"You've been asleep for a day," Madi said. "But I guess it covers the days you spent in the throne room." "Mmm," she hummed. "And the night you ditched," Madi confronted her and her head whipped around.

"It's fine," she laughed. "A little bit of fun won't kill you. I get some too." "I'm a little dizzy but has anything happened," Luisa asked, chugging the cup of water. "Only that they're calling the bunker Final Dusk," she informed her.

Luisa stood to stretch and tied her hair up. "Classes are canceled. You can do whatever you want," she said, seeing her smile. She gracefully nodded and quickly left the room and through the windows, she could see her running.

Pressing the medallion between her eyebrows, she searched for a jacket and slipped her hand in the pockets to pull out her mother's note. She reread it and sighed, putting it back in when he mind shot to find the book the page was torn from.

She emerged from the house to see the aftermaths of the rain had sprinkled the grass leaving moist soil.

"There she is," Roan called out and she turned. "You okay?" "Yeah, I just have a lot of work to do," she said. "Go eat first," he told her and she nodded, quickly pecking him on the lips, and went into the dining hall.

"We are so reckless," she heard Clarke groan when she sat at the table. "It was so worth it," Murphy pointed out as a server came in and handed her a plate of food with coffee.

"I enjoyed it," Luisa muttered and Murphy clapped his hands. "I heard the bunker is getting named Final Dusk." "You like it? Cause I do," Murphy said. "Second Dawn, Final Dusk, opposites. Especially if it's a burial ground." "I like it."

"Where's Raven?" "Probably carving out large letters," Murphy told her. Rising from her spot, she cleared her plate and went to the mechanical bay to hear loud whirring. Spotting Raven in a helmet, she stood in her view and waited to be seen.

"Hey-" "Where's the book?" she asked, leaning in closely. "My mother's book." Raven's eyes rolled around trying to think and she groaned, slamming her fist on the table. "I left it in the laboratory," she said. "That's quite stupid because I loved it."

"We have a ship and mining machines, we're going to get it," Luisa said. "Now." Dropping her things, Raven grabbed her red-orange jacket and the two walked out and headed for the dropship.

"Where are we going?" Shaw tagged along. "Sure, you can geek with us," she said monotonously. "Becca Franco's state of the art laboratory." She could tell he tried to suppress his excitement as he sat down in the swivel chair and lifted the ship.

As they were in the air, Luisa gave him the coordinates to the lab. "The entrance is covered in rubble and sand but underground should be fine."

"Can I ask, why do you need it?" Raven questioned but then soon regretted it. "I want to read and I Gaia should have it as the Flamekeeper," she explained. "And we can get more tech from the lab."

"We're here," Shaw said aloud as he landed the ship on dry land. Stepping out with mining weapons, Luisa tracked the safest entrance hole to drill and the ground collapsed.

The three went down with ropes and turned on flashlights to find the dark lab was left how it was with critters scurrying around.

"It should be somewhere," Raven said as Shaw looked around in awe. He smiled at the computers and started to pull them apart to set in the wagon he brought.

"Got it!" she shouted and Luisa rushed over. Dusting it off, she quickly flipped the pages making sure everything was there, and asked, "Are you done?" Shaw stopped in mid tracks, trying to shove everything in, and nodded, hooking the wagon to the ropes and they went up.

Entering the ship that lifted, Luisa sat in a chair and went to the back of the book where the rigged edges showed the page she tore. She looked at the next one and found another page of regret.

Becca Franco is dead. She was martyred by my father. I couldn't stop him but she didn't want him to have it. He couldn't have the stone. But before, she entrusted me with the Flame to find a worthy bearer; my brother. From there, we started a new nation without our father and his beliefs. Reese told me where he hid the stone. No one should ever find it. It should never be released. Father, should never have the key.

"Kalliope Praimfleimkepa," she whispered. She thought part of it should be given to the Flamekeeper but then the other half should be kept in secret in which Calliope instructed. Like the first time, she tore out the page and folded it with her mother's note.

Flipping to the middle of the book, she remembered the notes she had written about the Anomaly Stone and its symbols and ripped that page too.

"Here, you can read about her works just make sure to give it Gaia," she said as the ship landed. Greedily, Shaw snatched it out of her hands and flipped through the pages. "Oh, thank you," he said, causing her to roll her eyes.

Luisa emerged from the ship and went into the foyer of her house and searched for the papers she drew. Finally finding it, she grazed the sketch of Reese and Calliope, and her eyes glazed with water, realizing she had drawn her burning mother and the stone.