Tom Riddle

"So Moaning Myrtle was killed by the monster?" Neville asked in confirmation. Harry nodded. "What do you think it is?" He asked, the warm, inviting heat emanating from the fire giving them a false sense of security.

"Well, it has to be a snake." Harry deduced. "And there's only one creature I know that could do such a thing. But... they kill on sight, not petrify." Harry looked out of the window sadly.

"If it was a basilisk... why has no one died?" Neville asked, also looking towards the window. Harry sat there stumped, before he made contact with his reflection.

"Because no one has looked it in its eyes." He realised, before running off towards the library. "We need to tell Hermione." He told Neville, who was struggling to keep up.

But as they searched the library, they couldn't find Hermione anywhere.

"Maybe she's waiting at the quidditch pitch. Then she'll tell us how the basilisk is travelling around the castle." Neville suggested.
"I think I've figured that out as well. Remember that History of Magic lesson?" Harry asked.

"Of course I don't!" Neville said, offended that he thought otherwise.
"Well, I do. Binns wouldn't shut up about how the pipes were so large and so impressive, and I'm sure Hermione's realised that too. Hermione wouldn't stop taking notes." Harry then ran off again, quickly changed into his quidditch uniform, then got ready to fly onto the pitch to play against Hufflepuff, hoping to see Hermione in the crowd.

Neville snickered as he remembered looking over at Hermione's work and seeing the phrase, 'Hermione Jean Potter' written a few times.

Needless to say, that page was found later in the class bin. Binns paid it no attention. He couldn't pick solid objects up anyway.

When they were about to fly up, Professor McGonagall intercepted them, informing them that Quidditch was cancelled.

"But Professor!" Oliver shouted. "We've got to play... the cup... Gryffindor!" He claimed, aghast with his Head of House.
Professor McGonagall ignored him and grabbed the megaphone.

"All students will head back to their common rooms immediately." She turned to Harry. "Potter. There's something you need to see." The dire look in her eyes told Harry that it was important. "I suppose you'd better come too, Longbottom." McGonagall led them to the hospital wing.

"There's been another petrification." The teacher said sadly. "And it's someone you-"
"Hermione!" Harry suddenly noticed her lying there, completely still. McGonagall watched sadly as the two students rushed towards the petrified girl, Harry taking her cold, still hand, hardly paying any attention to the second new addition to the Hospital Wing.

"They were found near the library." McGonagall said sadly. Harry banged his fist on the table.
"We had just gone looking for her!" He said angrily, not realising that the table had cracked at the magical force he was exhibiting.

"Not to worry, Potter and Longbottom, the mandrake solution is being made as we speak." Professor McGonagall informed them.

"And how long will that take?" Harry growled.
"Why, until the end of the year, of course." McGonagall said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Harry and Neville stayed silent, staring sadly at Hermione. The professor eventually left to patrol the corridors in case a second message was left.

"Ugh, this is all my fault! If I wasn't so obsessed with that stupid diary, I would have been there with her to warn her." Harry vented his anger, trying not to squeeze Hermione's hand to death.

"And get petrified too? Face it, Harry, there's nothing you could have done." Neville said sadly. Harry sighed and nodded, looking at Hermione's frozen form. He was right. There was nothing he could do to help her.