The Troll

Harry didn't like Professor Snape. And it was clear that Professor Snape didn't like Harry.

After Harry and Hermione had finished studying in the library to help Harry get a basic understanding of magic (and after that, an advanced understanding, thanks to Hermione), they had transfiguration as their first lesson of the day. As they entered the classroom, the professor wasn't there yet- just an orange tabby cat sitting on her desk. Harry and Hermione sat next to each other and started talking quietly.

The cat suddenly transformed into a tall woman with spectacles much like Dumbledore's. McGonagall ordered their class to turn their needle into a matchstick, and that the first person to do so would be awarded ten points.

"Now, Harry, remember, most of Transfiguration is intent, so you really have to-" Hermione lectured.
"Hermione, I know, don't worry, McGonagall has been beating it into us for the past month." Harry reassured.
"Do you want to see who can do it first?" Hermione asked. Harry let out his first smirk in years.

"You're on." He whispered.

"Harry, you have no idea how much of a mistake you just-" Neville smirked, before Harry waved his wand, turning his needle straight into a matchstick.

"You were saying, Nev?" He said smugly. The effect this had, however, was completely different than Harry expected.

"Mister Potter, how did you do that?" McGonagall looked the most surprised anyone had seen her, while Harry looked confused.

"Uhhh, I waved my wand so I could turn it into a matchstick and it did?"

"Mister Potter, the use of non-verbal magic in general is exceptionally rare- to see it being used so nonchalantly by a first year! I shall have to speak to Professor Dumbledore about this!"

"NO!" Harry, Hermione and Neville shouted at the same time. McGonagall looked at them, confused.

"What's 'non-verbal magic'?" Harry asked, equally confused.

The professor was about to answer, when the door burst open and she quickly turned into a cat and perched herself onto the desk just as Ron Weasley came barging in, a worried look on his face. It turned to relief when he saw that the professor was not in the room.

"Could you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if I was late?" He boasted, puffing out his chest in front of Harry, trying to impress him. He just rolled his eyes and gestured to the cat with his head. Ron looked, and McGonagall did the exact same thing she had done at the start of the class, and jumped off the desk, transforming mid-jump, landing straight in front of him in her professor form.

"That was bloody brilliant!" Ron said in awe. Minerva just shook her head disapprovingly.

"Two points will be taken from Gryffindor, Mister Weasley." She said sternly. Ron gulped and nodded while the Slytherins practically gaped and grinned at the fact that she had just taken points off a Gryffindor. She then turned to Harry.

"Oh, and fifty points to Gryffindor, Mister Potter, for so easily displaying a feat of magic many witches and wizards eight times your age could only dream of." She added.

"Knew there was a catch." A Slytherin grumbled.

After the professor had turned away, Harry turned to Hermione.

"Fifty points for turning a needle into a matchstick?"

"Oh, come on, Harry, do you see anyone else in the school using magic without using words at the same time?" Hermione said impatiently.

"Dumbledore." Harry offered.
"Professor Dumbledore, Harry." Hermione corrected.
"More like Professor Manipulate-People's-Livesledore." Harry muttered. Hermione snorted softly, then turned to her needle and tried the incantation.