Flying Lessons

When Harry woke up, he was in the hospital wing. He wasn't surprised, considering he had just fought a troll and won. All that mattered to him is that he saved Hermione from being mauled by a mountain troll.

Speaking of Hermione, when he looked to his right, he saw Hermione sitting in a chair close to him, with her small fingers interlaced with his. At that moment, it felt like something warm yet cold impacted his chest. Harry wondered what it was and why seeing Hermione like that had caused it, but a snore from Neville brought him out of his musings. Thanks, Nev.

Then, Neville woke up and viewed his surroundings.
"Did Madam Pomfrey drag us up here?" He asked drowsily.
"Yup." I replied. He looked at Hermione and smirked.
"Sleep well?"
"Oh ha ha." Harry said sarcastically.

He looked at Hermione 's hand in his.

"Her fingers are really soft... they feel like... they belong with mine." Harry muttered almost unintelligibly. Neville picked up on it, though.

"Is our Chosen One in love?" He asked. Harry did a double take with his free hand.
"I'm not even sure what love is, Neville. I haven't been shown much in my life." Harry sighed.
"Well, you've got a good example right in front of you." Neville gestured to Hermione. Harry rolled his eyes.

"Maybe one day I'll feel something for someone, Nev. But, for now, I gotta be honest, I really wanna learn new spells."

Then, Hermione yawned and slowly fluttered her eyes open.

"Did Madam Pomfrey keep us in overnight?" She asked. Harry and Neville nodded.

"How long until lessons?" Harry asked Hermione. She checked her watch.
"Two hours. Why?"
"Brilliant. I'm going back to sleep." Harry then promptly did so.

"So, are we gonna wake him up, or-" Neville started. Hermione instantly glared at him. "Right you are." Neville grimaced. "Merlin, if looks could kill..." He muttered to himself.
"I heard that." Hermione jabbed, stroking Harry's hand with her thumb without realizing.

"Maybe one day, Nev." Neville mocked.
"What?" Hermione asked.
"Nothing." Neville said quickly. "You two have been holding hands since last night." He chuckled. Hermione's cheeks adopted a twinge of pink.

"It's just one of my post-traumatic reflexes."
"You just made that up." Neville grinned. Hermione turned from pink to scarlet.
"Whatever." Hermione grumbled, still stroking Harry's hand with her thumb.

...............................................................

Their first lesson of the next day was flying.

Hermione was reading every book she could about flying tips while Neville was hanging on for every possible trick he could learn. Harry decided that flying was more of a natural thing, so he just mentally prepared himself. He really didn't care that much, but it sounded fun.

When they arrived to the lesson, which they had with the Slytherins, they were met by a hawk-eyed white-haired witch who, despite looks, was one of the youngest teachers in Hogwarts.

"Alright. Well, what are you all standing around for? Step forward, put your right hand over the broom, and say "up".
"UP!" All the students shouted. Harry didn't even have to speak before the broom was in his hand. He looked around and saw that he was the first to do it. That didn't last long though, since the blonde-haired Slytherin boy had done it as well. They exchanged glances and Harry smiled at him. He looked surprised, but smiled back. By that time, most students had their brooms in their hands. Even Neville.

"Now, mount your brooms, and hold tight- you don't want to be sliding off the end. On my whistle. On your marks, get set,-"
But Neville had already taken off out of fear.
"Mister Longbottom. Mister- Mister Longbottom- MISTER LONGBOTTOM!" Madam Hooch screamed out of pure surprise as Neville shouted for help on the broom.