Chapter 16: A Father's Love

Kyle's POV

Kenneth came to get me and I rode shotgun in complete silence to Mr. Hollen's home.

I was ushered into his office. There he sat, behind a desk that made the man much more intimidating than he already was. His back was towards me. Kenneth left and shut the door after him.

I gulped.

Mr. Hollen started turning in my direction and it was the longest five seconds of my life. His grey eyes became dark and they locked onto me freezing me in place.

"Sir, before you..." I started.

"SHUT UP!" he roared and I thought the walls around us would collapse.

"How DARE you?" he asked, his anger subsiding just a tab, "You had one job and that was to protect my daughter. Not sleep with her! You're to end this fling with my child immediately or so help me, I'll knock you down so far..."

"It's not a fling," I let out.

"Excuse me?"

"It's not a fling, sir. Zenobia and I are in love. We're an item."

"An item? Does she look like a grocery list to you? I know your kind. The kind who pretends to be perfect until he gets what he wants then stomp on my daughter's heart as if she never actually mattered in the fucking first place!"

"Mr. Hollen, please hear me out. I have no ill will towards Zenobia."

"You hurt her before, Livingston! But I assumed you would take your job seriously and leave the past in the past."

"I do take my job very seriously, sir. I protect Zenobia with my life. My life is literally on the line everyday when I'm with her and by her side but that doesn't mean I can't fall in love with her."

"You're mixing your business with pleasure and you're not about to have them both. Contrary to popular belief, I can be understanding so I'm going to give you a choice. Your job or my daughter. Choose!"

"Mr. Hollen, that's very unfair. You're telling me that if I choose my job, I would have to break things off with Zen. But if I choose Zen, I lose my job. Shouldn't your daughter be more than an option?"

That question ignited him. He rose from his seat and towered over his desk. "Very good point, Livingston. YOU'RE FIRED!"

Kenneth appeared and I followed him out.

"He's so unreasonable. Kenneth, please talk some sense into the man," I pleaded with Kenneth for his help in the situation.

"I recalled myself warning you to remain professional with Miss. Zenobia Hollen. You think you're the only one who has eyes on her? There's always a second eye watching. Remember that. The Hollens trust isn't given. It's earned."

"What am I going to do?"

"You're young. Your whole life is ahead of you. You'll find another job eventually."

I got in and Kenneth drove me back to Zenobia's home. I went to the guest house and began packing when Zenobia appeared.

"What are you doing? Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'm packing the remainder of my things. Your dad just fired me."

"My dad did what?"

"He found out about us and he told me to choose between you and my job. I told him you should be more than an option. He fired me on the spot afterwards."

"I can't believe him!"

"Zen, I think I should respect him and stay away from..."

"Don't even finish that statement and you're not going anywhere!" she almost scream at me. She took my belongings and put them back into place.

"Matter of fact," she started again, "I'm gonna pack them up because you're moving my home permanently."

"Zen, your father is going to blow a fuse if he finds out I'm still with you."

Zenobia ordered two of the maids to pack up my things and carry them into her home. She then got into her car with me next to her and sped towards her father's house.

~
Upon arrival, she pushed through the front entrance with me on her tail. Her father was sitting inside his home cinema looking at football.

Zen removed the power cord from its socket, shutting everything down except the lights. Her father was stunned by her behavior and so was I to be honest.

"HOW COULD YOU!?" she shouted at her father, "YOU FIRED HIM BECAUSE HE'S IN LOVE WITH ME!?"

"Sweetie, that's not love. He's using you!"

"How would you know that, dad. Huh? He has been nothing but kind to me. He cares about me!"

"Because that's his job. His job is to give a damn about you! You're getting it twisted that that scumbag could actually be in love with you for you."

"There you go AGAIN! Always being judgmental and judging the men I get involve with!"

"And I've been right about them all."

"My life isn't perfect! Neither was yours when you were my age! I'm allowed to make mistakes. I'm allowed to date a few losers and get my heart broken! You're my father! Your job is to allow me to live but be there when I need you to be there. I don't need you to control the men I date or fall in love with."

"Zenobia, you're my only child..."

"I'm not a child anymore, dad. I'm a woman."

I watched quietly as Mr. Hollen looked at his sister. She stood before him like the champion she was. I've never seen anyone stood up to Mr. Hollen like that.

I couldn't help but wondered if anyone stood up to Mr. Evan Hollen like that too.

"Kyle is going to remain my bodyguard whether you like it or not," Zenobia finished.

The doors to the cinema room were pushed in and in walked Mrs. Zenia Hollen.

"What's all this yelling about?" she asked so smoothly.

"Dad fired my boyfriend."

"What? EJ, why would you do that?"

"Am I the only one here who sees he's wrong for her?"

"YES YOU ARE!" both women shouted at him.

Mrs. Hollen walked closer to her husband. "EJ, we talked about this. Zenobia has her own life. She's always going to be your little girl but she's not your little girl anymore. You have to allow her to make her own decisions and trust them."

"I just don't want to see my baby getting hurt again. I heard her cry enough! I saw her cry enough! Men only dating her to get in with The Hollens because of our status. They don't care about her!"

"You can't judge everyone the same, EJ. Let's give the kids a chance. I know I would have a peace of mind knowing Kyle is Zenobia's boyfriend and bodyguard. Double reasons for protecting her."

"Thanks mom." Zen pulled her mom into a hug and shortly after her father joined in.

He came over to me next. "I've been outnumbered and these two women in my life means the world and more to me. If you hurt my daughter, I'll make you wish you've never known Ethan Junior Hollen."

His face was as serious as a lion's.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt your daughter."

"I always hated statements like those. That 'the last thing' shit never sits well with me."

"I apologize, sir. I'll never hurt your daughter."

He nodded in respect. "You're rehired."

___________

A/N

I'm back.... by popular demand of course and I don't see myself going anywhere soon.

Thanks for coming back, your patience and for reading ❤.