Chapter 28: The M-O

Zenobia's POV

I couldn't believe my eyes. The hot flames fanned my face as I retreated away and to my father's side for safety.

I looked on, stunned, as Kyle picked himself up off the ground and assisted a shell-shocked Boa to his feet as well. Tiffany gasped as she looked at the burning car and my uncle Evan was already making phone calls.

Within several minutes, the fire service department arrived and the flames were dissolved. We all made our way back to the chopper, quietly.

~

We arrived and gathered at my grandfather's home. He greeted us with open arms and a worried expression as he took us in.

"Dad, this is getting serious," Evan said when we found a seat.

"What exactly happened?" grandpa asked him.

"We arrived at the cabin and everyone was getting ready to leave. Next thing I know, Zenobia's friend car was on fire. It exploded right after Kyle pushed Tiffany out of the way and pulled her boyfriend from the front seat. That was amazing work by the way, Kyle," Uncle Evan finished and nodded his head in Kyle's direction as a form of respect.

"Thank you," Kyle humbly answered.

"My gosh. This is crazy. Someone could have been hurt or worse," grandma Emma said as she came into the room and caught Evan's explanation.

"Indeed. We need to find the root of the problem and knock the entire tree down," Grandpa said, his eyes becoming dark and mysterious.

"Say no more. We will find it," my father said. He stood right beside me and as the words fell from his lips, he reached out to touch my shoulder in protection.

~

Several hours later, Tiffany and Boa were taken to their their by grandpa's security and I was taken to mine by my bodyguard.. who was still on the 'sharp edge of my sword'.

He made his routine checks before it was declared safe and I could enter my own house. I headed straight for the bedroom and got into my shower, washing from my head to my toes.

The event still flashed in my head. It could have been my car. It could have been me behind the wheel and Kyle didn't reach me in time.

I dawned on me.

I found him outside after I got dressed.

"Thank you for what you did today. I'll make sure my gratitude shows on your paycheck."