HEIR

Armena Riddle-Lestrange

I watched as Blaise flipped open the Daily Prophet, glancing at the front page. Images of the Minister of Magic standing in the dark Ministry of Magic flashed across the page. I peered over his shoulder on the couch, trying to read the writing below. 

"What does it say?" I asked, chewing on my nail.

"These are dark times we live in once again. It seems that dark threats prevail, as we learn about these occurrences happening around us. But I say this, to our world, here at the Ministry we will remain strong and fight these dark forces..." Blaise read out loud. 

"And what does it say right there?" I pointed to the section below that had my Hogwarts school portrait.

The girl in the image looked a lot like me but I knew we were both very different now. We were two separate entities that existed. I was jealous of that girl, I would give anything to be her again. 

"The Dark Mark in the sky sparks panic once more...The Dark Mark of You Know Who was found in a small town, Tutshill, late last night. It is reported that You Know Who is on the rise once more and now with the help of his own offspring, Armena Riddle-Lestrange. A name that many did not know before today—"

"That's enough, Blaise!" Draco snapped. 

Draco snatched the paper roughly out of Blaise's hands. Blaise and I both glanced up at him from our spot on the sofa, in the library, with wide eyes. 

"Mate— I was reading that!" Blaise snapped his fingers at his blonde headed friend. 

Draco's grey eyes scanned the paper quickly, before crumpling it up into a ball before throwing it into the roaring fire. I brought my thumb back between my teeth, chewing again on my nail. I glanced forward, watching as the title "Muggle Family Murdered", burned in the flames. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see the look on their faces, as my mother took the life right out of their eyes. My right hand gripping reflexively at my left forearm, where my new ink sat fresh on my skin. Draco and I hadn't talked since last night, when we all came back here after Tutshill. I didn't want to talk about it, I just wanted to forget. 

"Armena!" Draco called after me.

He raced up the stairs following me into my bedroom. He slammed the door shut, closing us both in the room together.

"Draco, please" I turned my back to him, ripping off my cloak.

I unzipped my dress and pulled off the torn shirt that my mother ripped to shreds. I stood there in my tights and bra, shaking uncontrollably. I turned around walking around his body to the sink. I shoved my forearm under the cold water, collapsing against the cool stone of the basin. I could hear him enter behind me but it was no use. I kept my eyes peeled on the skull and snake that was branded into my arm.

"Armena..." he whispered, his hand going to my bare back.

My mind flashed back to my uncle's words, I winced under the memory. I knew what I had to do to stop all of this, but I couldn't. My hands gripped the edge of the sink as I looked up at him. He was glancing at my back, his bottom lip trembling. I turned around, looking over my shoulder in the mirror at the claw marks that were engraved in my flesh from Fenrir's hold on me. 

"I'm so sorry" he whispered, tears streaming down his face.

I opened my eyes, looking back up towards the burning newspaper in the fire. It was nothing more than a pile of ashes now. I let out a deep breath and turned to face my friends.

"Do you mind if I have a moment alone?" I sighed, glancing to the door.

"Of course" Blaise sighed, gripping Pansy's arm as he dragged her to the door.