THE INVITATION

I was never one for parties, company or companionship for that matter. I found that I rather enjoyed keeping to myself. After all, I was raised that way. I had spent most of my life locked up in the confines of my bedchamber, only to escape when I needed a novel, food or a stroll around the gardens. During the war, I found that my freedom was restricted to a tight lease with a sharp collar, like the ones that muggles put on their dogs. Freedom was something that I could taste on my tongue but was never quite there. Like a savory smell of sweets or fresh bread that the house elves would bake in the kitchens.

Freedom, what an odd concept for someone like me.

But after the war, after everything that occurred, I found that I was finally able to taste that sweet victory on my tongue. The Dark Lord was dead. My mother was dead. Every vile, revolting, off-putting creature that worshiped his ashen, translucent flesh was locked away in Azkaban.

However, I never thought that I would end up in this position. I never thought that I would be here, about to embark on something that seemed so distant in my wildest dreams. I felt a sense of unease rush through my veins. I shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be doing this. I wasn't built for this.

Foolish pathetic girl.

I could hear her taunting me in my dark thoughts. She always did that, she always found a way to snake her way back in. Dead or alive, there was no escaping the deranged voice of my mother.

"Pull your shit together" I hissed to myself as I looked outside of the taxi's window.

I blew out a puff of air, watching as my warm breath created a cloud of white smoke on the window. I brought my long, slender finger up to the glass, absentmindedly doodling my initials.

~ ARL ~

It was childish really, but it offered a distraction. I needed a distraction from the thoughts that were racing in my head. In truth, I needed a distraction from this year— from the past three years. I watched as the white, serene fog quickly turned to dark obsidian in a blink of an eye. I glanced towards the rearview mirror, praying to Merlin that the taxi driver didn't notice. His eyes were peeled on the busy London road ahead. I quickly wiped away any evidence with the sleeve of my jumper.

"Oy Miss— Kings Cross station?" The taxi driver shouted from the front seat.

My piercing green eyes met his and I nodded quickly before turning to look back outside of the window.

"It looks like there is a bit of a jam ahead. It's that time of year ya know?" The driver stated in a thick Yorkshire accent. He slowed down his cab as the traffic came to a halt.  "Busy with people coming into the city or leaving to head to the country side. I'll tell ya, haven't seen it like this in a while." 

He was only trying to make polite conversation, but I found that my flesh begin to crawl with annoyance. It was an ugly trait that I had inherited from my father, something that I wish I could control but it was inevitable. My lack of patience was terrifyingly slim to none and as much as I tried to control my anger— I simply couldn't.

You will be there soon, just breathe.

I shut my eyes and sunk deeper into the sticky leather seat of the taxi. My fingers wrapping around the antique silver locket that rested between my breasts. The coolness of the silver metal brought me strange comfort in times of distress. It always seemed to ground me when I needed it the most. I let out a deep breath allowing myself to sink into the depths of my memory. I could see it now, like I was staring into a pensive. 

~5 weeks ago~

"Armena—" his deep voice shook when he spoke, "I am Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is so very nice to finally meet you. It seems that you have been hidden from our world for quite sometime."