15. trust

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters. I do not own Derek Hale. However I do own Skylar McCall and some of the things that come along with her plot (Like Harv & Kelly's, etc.).

☽𓁺☾

The final bell for the end of the school day rings, a collective sigh of relief echoing through my last class of the day. Not only is it a Friday, it's the Friday before spring break. The thought seems ridiculous to me. The last school break we had was for Christmas, nearly four months ago, and it was on the last night of that break that Stiles swung down from our roof and told us about the murder of Laura Hale. The night he convinced us to go try to find her body. The night Scott and I first came into contact with Peter. It truly seems like a lifetime ago; it distorts my concept of time to think about the fact that I'm still getting through the same second semester of the school year after having gone through this many hardships.

I gather my things and shove them all carelessly in my bag, in a bit of a rush to find Scott. He still has his car privileges revoked, which honestly, has been nice for me. I have to give him a ride down to the animal clinic for work, and then, finally, drive myself back over to the diner for my own shift. I paid the older couple a visit yesterday and let it be known I'm ready to come back, but we decided on a schedule quite a bit different than before. Less days a week, shorter hours. I just don't know how I did it before, managing my schoolwork and all of the werewolf drama, and now I'm focusing so much energy on learning how to work with my newfound gifts. . . Adding work on top of that feels like I'm overbooking myself, but I'm too guilty about all of the hospital bills we're getting in the mail to not come back at all.

Scott and I meet at the car and I drive him over to the clinic. He opens his door to get out, hesitating as if he has something to say. After a couple seconds, he speaks. "I know you guys are keeping a distance, or whatever, but Derek's coming by at the end of my shift later to talk to Deaton with me. To talk about kanima stuff. If you don't want to come I can totally fill you in later at home. Just thought I'd let you know."

He grabs his school bag and jacket and gets out of the car, entering the building and disappearing. I huff out a sigh, feeling a little embarrassed. I never meant to make this dynamic so awkward, and I don't want it to stay this way. What's going on between Derek and I is one of the least important things for any of us to have on our minds right now. People are dying, and what we should put our full efforts into is figuring out why and how to stop it. It just feels dumb for us to work out who is going to go to what meeting when we both still have the common goal in mind. . . Mostly. I'm not convinced Derek is dead-set on saving Jackson yet, but again, as long as people stop dying, that's what is really important.

When I make it to work, I take a few seconds to mentally prepare myself before I go in. A few deep breaths. I affirm to myself that I will not be affected by the energies and emotions of others—although the doubt seeps in immediately, because the statement is simply not true yet. However, I've been doing this before school or before any public outings everyday and it seems to help more and more as time goes on. The meditation I did at the train station the other night was amazing. I tried to recreate it later that night after I had gotten home, but it just didn't happen the same. My mind's eye was blank.