9. breathe

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any parts of Teen Wolf or its plot or characters. I do not own Derek Hale. However I do own Skylar McCall and some of the things that come along with her plot (Like Harv & Kelly's, etc.).

☽𓁺☾

      After what happened at the mechanic's, Mom offered to let me stay home from school again today, but I had to decline. As exhausted as I am I cannot keep missing school like this—it's becoming a really bad habit. At least I'm caught up now, I think. After school I find myself outside, breathing in the fresh beginning of spring air, my fingers tapping away at my phone's keyboard. Scott and Allison have found several ways of getting around the inability to be seen with each other at school, one of them being with the help of Stiles and I. Allison, who's perched politely on the bench next to me, tells me what to send out to Stiles, who reads the message off to Scott. Then Stiles sends Scott's message back to me. That way, Allison is proven to be nowhere near my brother and neither of their phones contain any evidence linking the two together. I'm sure her family is suspicious of her connection to me as well, but I don't think they would come after me—Allison said she told them I never turned, and that I'm not a werewolf.

Circumstances aside, we get the information we need from her. We ask her about that book Deaton mentioned—a bestiary—filled with information about all of the creatures the Argents have crossed paths with over the years. Allison says she's seen Gerard with an old leather book, which we all agree is what we would picture it to look like. She guesses he probably keeps it in his office, and since she knows him the best, we trust her on that and devise a plan for tonight's lacrosse game. Allison is given the mission of getting Gerard's keys from him and to Stiles and I. From there, we'll sneak back into the school—since that went so well the last time—and search his office. It's definitely risky, especially since there's typically a few stray teachers loitering the halls, but we're running on a time limit. We have three dead bodies and not a single suspect.

Mom doesn't have to work until later tonight, so to make things a little more complicated, she decides to come to the game as well. Once the sun begins to set it's time for us to leave. We pile into her car and start driving toward the school, talking a little as we go. Halfway there she gets silent, and I can tell she has something on her mind.

After a few moments of the silence, she speaks up. "How are you feeling today?" she asks, keeping her tired eyes glued to the road. Despite her workaholic persona, she cleaned up nice for tonight—makeup, including lipstick, a pretty green blouse with a thin overcoat. Curly hair cascading over her shoulders, shiny with product. I've always envied her natural curls—my pin straight hair must be a trait from my dad.

"I'm good, Mom. I'm feeling okay," I assure her, although the truth is I don't feel any better than I did yesterday. Now it's not just Derek pestering my thoughts all day, it's this creature, too. Clearly it isn't just passing through town, and the run in yesterday is bringing me back to the run ins with the alpha a few short months ago.