✢12

Previously on NIGHTMARE:

"What's the use in fighting? He'll crush you, just like everyone else."

"No! What he's doing is wrong, so I don't care how strong he is. I won't lose to him."

❃❃❃

The elevator ride to Waldo's location was silent. Remi noticed the man standing across from her fidgeting uncomfortably, visibly frightened at what was about to ensue.

"Hey, lighten up man! You're making me nervous." she said, patting his back. He jumped at the sudden contact. Upon realizing that the pink-haired girl was stronger than he'd imagined, he was much more cautious around her. "No one's asking you to fight. Just be there to support me, should something happen." she said soothingly. He gulped, not feeling anymore comforted.

The doors of the elevator opened with a creak and there stood Waldo before them. He turned around with a malicious grin. "Who thinks they can just show up to my room uninvited." Remi's eyes narrowed.

"Waldo! We're here to put a stop to your tyranny. In an instant, Waldo let forth a mighty shockwave. Remi was able to stand her ground and guard against the attack, but her partner was thrown back against the wall, knocked unconscious immediately.

Waldo noticed Remi still standing after his attack, and prepared to direct another one. Remi quickly used her lightning to clear through the wave and lunged forward to counterattack him. Caught off guard by her strength, he tried to dodge it and was electrocuted.

"Give it up! You've done enough harm here!" Remi exclaimed angrily. She hoped she could put an end to the fight as soon as possible, with minimal injuries. Waldo wasn't having it.

"Who do you think you are?" he spat. "If you really cared to save those people, I suggest you show some respect." Remi raised her eyebrows. "If anything happens to me, a room full of innocent people will be blown to bits."

Her eyes widened with shock. "You've... gotta be kidding me." Waldo shook his head and grinned. He directed another blast right at her which she dodged. Instead of attacking, she fell back and didn't fight back.

"That's more like it. I'll take care of you one I finish up with this traitor." He turned the palm of his hand to point at the blonde man who was out cold against the wall.

"NO! Leave him out of this! I'm the one who told him to bring me here!" She dived to block the shockwave from hitting him and took the damage instead. Blood spattered out of her mouth, staining her mask as the wave slammed against her back.

"Hey! Remi! Are you okay?!" Isen yelled over the earpiece.

"I'm fine, but I need you two to find out where the hostages are so I can fight back without anyone else getting killed." She replied hastily.

"It's a shame you want to protect these weaklings. If you joined me, I could pay you a hefty salary."

"No way." Remi said angrily. "I don't want your dirty money." She picked the man up and jumped, just dodging another attack directed at the spot she was just crouched in moments before. She ducked behind a pillar and set the man against it. Meanwhile, Blyke and Isen jumped from rooftop to rooftop in search of the hostages.

"Wait, there! It looks like a bunch of people crowded in a corner, and there's three people on watch. Probably Waldo's cronies." He looked at Blyke who nodded.

"Tell me where to aim."

The blonde man awoke, facing Remi's back. "H-huh?" Remi turned around to see him conscious again, getting up to stand beside her. "You're injured!" he said, noticed the blood on her mask.